[1.16.5] A few questions about various stuff

Tavi007

Hey,

Indescriptive title aside I currently need help with 2 things. The first one is most likely something easy to fix and I'm just to stupid right now. I got the famous black-purple texture displayed as my block texture, but the block itemstack is showing the correct texture tho. Here are the blockstate and model file:

Spoiler

model:

{
  "parent": "minecraft:block/template_glazed_terracotta",
  "textures": {
    "pattern": "minecraft:block/essence_block_darkness"
  }
}

blockstate:

{
  "variants": {
    "facing=east": {
      "model": "elementalcombat_weaponry:block/essence_block_darkness",
      "y": 270
    },
    "facing=north": {
      "y": 180
    },
    "facing=south": {
      "model": "elementalcombat_weaponry:block/essence_block_darkness"
    },
    "facing=west": {
      "y": 90
    }
  }
}

The block should behave the same as the glazed_terracotta. So what am I missing?
Also here is a link to directory in my git repository:
https://github.com/Tavi007/ElementalCombat-Weaponry/tree/main/src/main/resources/assets/elementalcombat_weaponry

My second problem is about the build.gradle file. I finished another mod, which is a library mod. Before I try to upload it to Maven Central, I would like to test it first by importing it into my test project. Since I got the jar locally I added

implementation fg.deobf(files('C:/Minecraft Modding/ElementalCombat/build/libs/elementalcombat-forge-1.16.5-1.1.1-api.jar'))

to the dependencies section of the build.gradle file. This does add the jar as library, but I run into a FieldNotFound exception on startup. The missing field has an obfuscated name, so I don't really know, what is missing. All I know is in which line the error occures and it's this one: https://github.com/Tavi007/ElementalCombat/blob/b562cba34d2bee7a647aa4d088372c917d67a3d4/src/main/java/Tavi007/ElementalCombat/init/EnchantmentList.java#L39

Do I get the error, because the minecraft mapping wasn't applied correctly? Or is it due to something completly different? I'm at a complete loss here. :/

And here is the link to the gradle file: https://github.com/Tavi007/ElementalCombat-Weaponry/blob/main/build.gradle
(It currently only uses the api jar, because this way I can keep working on it.)

Edited by Tavi007

You are right. I forgot to revert it back (I was testing, if minecraft:block/stone was working, which it was not. I had the same problem: itemstack is looking fine (display a stone block), but the actual block was missing its texture). I changed the namespace to elementalcombat_weaponry, which should be the correct one. Sadly the issue with the texture persist.

Edited by Tavi007

I believe the problem is because in your code you assign ESSENSE_BLOCK_DARKNESS to a new Block(), which does not have directionality, and so none of the variants in your blockstates definition will ever apply.

In order to fix this, you probably want to create a class for your blocks that extends HorizontalBlock (take a look at the GlazedTerracottaBlock class as an example), and in the register method, use that class instead of Block.

Edited by A Soulspark

You are completly right. Swapping Block to GlazedTerracottaBlock fixed the problem (No need to create a new Block type, since the block should behave excatly like the terracotta block anyway). Thank you!

Edited by Tavi007