[36.1.0]my server won't stop properly (have to control + C)

hi. I'm not positive whether this is even forge causing this or a mod, but when I issue the stop command, it saves correctly but then doesn't actually exit the jar. The last thing showing on the main output stream (command prompt in my case) is something about unloading a dimension called alternate5, debug.log ends with a message about unloading server config's, and the rest of debug log from my last stop (this happens every time) can be read on gist here: debug.log

Minecraft version: 1.16.5

Forge version: jar file ends with 36.1.0. Not sure about the 4 digit build number but I can check that if you'd like (pretty sure it's the current recommended build tho)

regarding what research I've done... well, honestly, I'm not really sure what search terms are going to get me any results. I tried both googling and duck-duck-going "forge server won't stop" but, as you might expect, most results for a query that starts with "forge server won't" are of the "won't start" variety. then I tried googling "forge server stalls on exit", but the results weren't much better. Across all my searches, the few relevant results I got were on different Minecraft versions and, in the case of the most recent one, involved a mod I don't have installed. Besides basic searching, I did read the bottom of the debug.log, but I didn't see any sort of stacktrace that might give me a clue. In short, I ran out of leads so I came here.

Edited by macks2008
spoke too soon

17 minutes ago, macks2008 said:

I'm not positive whether this is even forge causing this or a mod

Install a fresh server of the same version in another folder, run it, then stop it. If it exits cleanly, it is most likely one of your mods or something causing it. Perhaps use the freshly installed test server, add mods 1-2 at a time, and run/stop it in between, to see if you can narrow it down to the mod causing the hangup

*edit: also, looks like maybe your log got cut off? Also see a crapton of errors from crafttweaker, I'd probably get rid of that one or update it or something

Edited by Ugdhar

On 5/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ugdhar said:

Install a fresh server of the same version in another folder, run it, then stop it. If it exits cleanly, it is most likely one of your mods or something causing it. Perhaps use the freshly installed test server, add mods 1-2 at a time, and run/stop it in between, to see if you can narrow it down to the mod causing the hangup

good idea. I'll give that a try... although, wouldn't a binary search be faster? (Honestly I just didn't think to give that a try at all, so thanks either way)

On 5/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ugdhar said:

*edit: also, looks like maybe your log got cut off? Also see a crapton of errors from crafttweaker, I'd probably get rid of that one or update it or something

yeah... looks like it truncated when I tried to rename the gist. The original log and gist are multiple megabytes so I can't really blame anything on github's backend for giving up. Although, the fact it's that long (and what you said about CraftTweaker) have me mildly concerned.  I'll take that advice into consideration.

One thing at a time though. let me give narrowing down the mod (if it is a mod) responsible for hanging a try first (once I get done with some college busywork anyway). I think I might actually know a version of my pack that was working, and since I haven't added many mods since then,  it might be faster to start my search that way. Wish me luck!

Edited by macks2008

I think I found the culprit. Journey map seems to have a server-side bug involving its configs. When updating forge to a new version (and new instance folder), I noticed the following at the end of the server's loading process:

Spoiler

[08May2021 19:25:06.596] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: global (FirstLoaded) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.global.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.600] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: global (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.global.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.634] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: default (FirstLoaded) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.default.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.636] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: default (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.default.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.662] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: overworld (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.overworld.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.671] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: overworld (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.overworld.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.710] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: the_nether (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.the_nether.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.715] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: the_nether (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.the_nether.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.755] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: the_end (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.the_end.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.762] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: the_end (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.the_end.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.811] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: twilightforest (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.twilightforest.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.816] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: twilightforest (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.twilightforest.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.846] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: skylight_forest (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.skylight_forest.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.851] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: skylight_forest (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.skylight_forest.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.892] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: spatial_storage (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.spatial_storage.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.900] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: spatial_storage (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.spatial_storage.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.949] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate1 (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.alternate1.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.957] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate1 (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.alternate1.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.988] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate2 (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.alternate2.config
[08May2021 19:25:06.989] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate2 (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.alternate2.config
[08May2021 19:25:07.012] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate3 (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.alternate3.config
[08May2021 19:25:07.015] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate3 (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.alternate3.config
[08May2021 19:25:07.042] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate4 (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.alternate4.config
[08May2021 19:25:07.046] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate4 (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.alternate4.config
[08May2021 19:25:07.068] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate5 (Initialized) Setting config file to version "5.7.1": journeymap.server.alternate5.config
[08May2021 19:25:07.072] [Server thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: alternate5 (Valid) Creating config file: .\journeymap\server\5.7\journeymap.server.alternate5.config

and the server unloaded fine the first time, but not after subsequent starts. Since the directory referenced here, journeymap's data directory, is one of the few directory I didn't copy from the old instance directory, I correctly concluded that journeyman was the culprit, removed it, and have been able to /stop without issue since. I don't know WHY these config's existing or not causes it to hang, but apparently it does. I guess it's time to go bug a mod developer. Thanks Ugdhar!

edit: spoke too soon. Disregard this

Edited by macks2008

• macks2008 changed the title to [36.1.0]my server won't stop properly (have to control + C)