Does every single block/item create in our mod have to be a class on its own?

Hello forum people.

This is my first post, I still use minecraft release 1.5.2, just to be safe when modding, and I'm not that good at Java (I don't like to type that much) and I noticed that for registering textures for items or blocks to be able to be rendered in game, you need to override a method. That's not what minecraft itself does most of the time. Just a few blocks/items have their own classes but just because they have unique logic or they have to override other methods.

So there's really no way around this? deriving from a base class for each and every block/item I define in mod, even if it's just a dumb block with a different texture, is the only possible way to have a block/item rendered in game?

wow... that's a shame. Minecraft seems to locate their textures by block/item unlocalizedName property and then just add ".png" to the end. Sad this is a problem people encounter so early. By the time they've mastered enough skills to solve it more elegantly than by inheritance, I think they just got used to it (i mean the forge developers and the rest of the community).

And there's also the strange requirement java has that every class must be define in it's own file... create 50 blocks/items and you have 50 files just for that, plus all the rest of your mod. Really a shame.

Edit: after reading your editing on your second post: I really don't think that's it. Although I don't think it would be worthless learning what that particular member does, if you can.

Unless you declare your Item classes like this:

pacakge mypackage.item;

import net.minecraft.item.Item;

public class MyItemClasses {

public static class ItemMyFirstItem extends Item {

public ItemMyFirstItem(int par1) {
            super(par1);
        }
    };

public static class ItemMySecondItem extends Item {

public ItemMySecondItem(int par1) {
            super(par1);
        }
    };
    // etc., etc., etc..
}

Then it's your all your items in one file technically xD

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

You  can actually create items and blocks like that:

public static final Item itemOfYours = new Item(800);
public static final Block blockOfYours = new Block(503, Material.iron).setHardness(1.0F).setResistance(3F);

Check Block and Item classes to see details.

If i helped you, don't forget pressing "Thank You" button. Thanks for your time.

@Naitenne yes, that would be really great. That's exactly what I wanted to do. But if I do it like that, it seems I have no way to render my blocks/items textures, because forge needs me to override some method to be able to find my textures. And that's only possible by inheritance

edit: to make it clearer, I CAN define blocks and items like that. But they won't be properly shown in game. they will appear as a cube (for blocks) or a little square thingy like a white tablet. Both with the words "texture not found" (or something like that) written all over them. So unless there's a way around this, people have to derive from either block or item to be able to override that special method forge needs to find my textures.

Try messing with .setUnlozalizedName("yourMod:textureName") place it like .setResistance(3F). The texture should be located as MCP/src/mods/yourMod/textures/items/textureName.png for items and MCP/src/mods/yourMod/textures/blocks/textureName.png for blocks;

If i helped you, don't forget pressing "Thank You" button. Thanks for your time.

Try messing with .setUnlozalizedName("yourMod:textureName") place it like .setResistance(3F). The texture should be located as MCP/src/mods/yourMod/textures/items/textureName.png for items and MCP/src/mods/yourMod/textures/blocks/textureName.png for blocks;

Have you tested that and had it work?

Because to my knowledge that is the reference to the VANILLA textures folder.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

I hope it works for you in 1.6.*. Because if it doesn't, your screwed. And I am glad it works. I know that they said that it points there, but I also did say TO MY KNOWLEDGE, basically according to what I knew it pointed to the vanilla textures, not ones in a mod file. Now I have been proven wrong it seems I can update my knowledge :P

Mew, how can mods/yourMod/ point at vanilla textures?

And once again people aren't reading what I have said correctly...

What I was referring to was .setUnlocalizedName(). Before proven otherwise I thought it to be pointing to the Vanilla texture path. That is what I was meaning.

And as a side note, VERY NICE mod. Good ole' trains. Awesome :D

well the forge build for 1.6 may not be the recommended one for a while... but I sure hope it works for 1.6 or I'll start to think Mojang is sabotaging us modders >.<

Don't bother waiting for a recommended build of 1.6.1, there will NEVER be one. There is a recommended build for minecraft 1.6.2 though xD

.setUnlocalizedName

is for setting the name of your block that goes through the localization files so it can be displayed in the users current language (if provided)

for Blocks the function you want is .func_111022_d("yourMod:textureName")

by using it you set field_111026_f

registerIcons gets the icon from func_111023_E which in turn reads it from field_111026_f (the one you set)

Items go through a similar path but you use .func_111206_d("yourMod:textureName")

.setUnlocalizedName

is for setting the name of your block that goes through the localization files so it can be displayed in the users current language (if provided)

for Blocks the function you want is .func_111022_d("yourMod:textureName")

by using it you set field_111026_f

registerIcons gets the icon from func_111023_E which in turn reads it from field_111026_f (the one you set)

Items go through a similar path but you use .func_111206_d("yourMod:textureName")

But is that 1.5.2? I don't think so. The OP was asking about this in relation to 1.5.2, but yes this is still relevant when it comes to moving to 1.6.*.

;D I missed the 1.5.2 part, noticed the suggestion of using setUnlocalizedName for textures and thought, oh no thats going to cause problems in the future.

There has already been several people who have ignored the new functions due to the names, just figured it was happening again :)

That's not what minecraft itself does most of the time. Just a few blocks/items have their own classes but just because they have unique logic or they have to override other methods.

Actually all of Minecraft's blocks have their own class.  Some have overlaps (e.g. colored wool, stairs) some are split when they don't seem like they would need to be (redstone torches,* redstone lamps**).

But you're right, a lot of methods that vanilla doesn't override with their block classes ARE overriden by mod classes.

Icon registration is one of these, because mod textures are in a different location than vanilla textures.

*Two block IDs, same block class file

**Two actually different classes, if I recall correctly.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.