[SOLVED] Problems with entity sizes

vilu

Does any one else have a problem with entity sizes or am I the only one?

It seems like the function this.setSize(float par1, float par2) has no effect anymore, it doesn't make mob bigger or smaller like it used to.

public class EntityButterfly extends EntityAnimal {

public int butterfly_type = 0;

private boolean powered = false;

private ChunkCoordinates currentFlightTarget = null;

private GenericTargetSorter TargetSorter = null;

public EntityButterfly(World par1World) {

super(par1World);

this.setEntityHealth(2);

this.worldObj = par1World;

this.butterfly_type = rand.nextInt(4);

this.setSize(0.45F, 0.45F);

this.experienceValue = 0;

this.getNavigator().setAvoidsWater(true);

TargetSorter = new GenericTargetSorter(this);

}

//and so on...

I would also want to know is it ok to register renders at void init() in client proxy (like RenderingRegistry.registerEntityRenderingHandler(EntityButterfly.class, new RenderButterfly(new ModelButterfly(1.0F), 0.2F, 0.45F)); ) or is the problem maybe there?

I believe setSize only sets the size of the hitbox, the part that's used for collision detection, and not how it's actually rendered. To change the render size, you probably need your own render class, and to set the size I would use the code from RenderCaveSpider.

protected void preRenderCallback(EntityLivingBase par1EntityLivingBase, float par2)
    {
        this.scaleSpider((EntityCaveSpider)par1EntityLivingBase, par2);
    }
    protected void scaleSpider(EntityCaveSpider par1EntityCaveSpider, float par2)
    {
        GL11.glScalef(0.7F, 0.7F, 0.7F);
    }

Post that into your entity rendering class, and replace every instance of EntityCaveSpider with EntityButterfly. The floats inside the glScalef method will determine the render size.

Just a pet peeve, but I really hate it when people have problems with a method they say" this.blahblah isn't working!". For one thing we have no idea half the time what "this" is and it would be better if you stated the class that the method originated from.

This is the creator of the Rareores mod! Be sure to check it out at

Just a pet peeve, but I really hate it when people have problems with a method they say" this.blahblah isn't working!". For one thing we have no idea half the time what "this" is and it would be better if you stated the class that the method originated from.

My pet peeve is people saying "X isn't working!" without posting the error or code (or worse, neither).

My response is to add more cheese.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I believe setSize only sets the size of the hitbox, the part that's used for collision detection, and not how it's actually rendered. To change the render size, you probably need your own render class, and to set the size I would use the code from RenderCaveSpider.

protected void preRenderCallback(EntityLivingBase par1EntityLivingBase, float par2)
    {
        this.scaleSpider((EntityCaveSpider)par1EntityLivingBase, par2);
    }
    protected void scaleSpider(EntityCaveSpider par1EntityCaveSpider, float par2)
    {
        GL11.glScalef(0.7F, 0.7F, 0.7F);
    }

Post that into your entity rendering class, and replace every instance of EntityCaveSpider with EntityButterfly. The floats inside the glScalef method will determine the render size.

I already have renderer, check below

public class RenderButterfly extends RenderLiving {

private static final ResourceLocation skin0 = new ResourceLocation("newmobs:textures/entities/butterfly1.png");

private static final ResourceLocation skin1 = new ResourceLocation("newmobs:textures/entities/butterfly2.png");

private static final ResourceLocation skin2 = new ResourceLocation("newmobs:textures/entities/butterfly3.png");

private static final ResourceLocation skin3 = new ResourceLocation("newmobs:textures/entities/butterfly4.png");

private static final ResourceLocation armoredSkin = new ResourceLocation("newmobs:textures/entities/butterfly/armor.png");

protected ModelButterfly model;

public float scale = 0.45F;

public World worldObj;

public Random rand = new Random();

public RenderButterfly(ModelButterfly par1ModelBase, float par2, float par3) {

super(par1ModelBase, par2 * par3);

model = ((ModelButterfly)mainModel);

this.scale = par3;

worldObj = Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld;

}

private ResourceLocation changingSkin() {

return null;

}

public void renderButterfly(EntityButterfly par1EntityButterfly, double par2, double par4, double par6, float par8, float par9)

{

super.doRenderLiving(par1EntityButterfly, par2, par4, par6, par8, par9);

}

public void doRenderLiving(EntityLiving par1EntityLiving, double par2, double par4, double par6, float par8, float par9)

{

this.renderButterfly((EntityButterfly)par1EntityLiving, par2, par4, par6, par8, par9);

}

/**

* Actually renders the given argument. This is a synthetic bridge method, always casting down its argument and then

* handing it off to a worker function which does the actual work. In all probabilty, the class Render is generic

* (Render<T extends Entity) and this method has signature public void doRender(T entity, double d, double d1,

* double d2, float f, float f1). But JAD is pre 1.5 so doesn't do that.

*/

public void doRender(Entity par1Entity, double par2, double par4, double par6, float par8, float par9)

{

this.renderButterfly((EntityButterfly)par1Entity, par2, par4, par6, par8, par9);

}

/**

* Applies the scale to the transform matrix

*/

protected void preRenderScale(EntityButterfly par1Entity, float par2)

{

GL11.glScalef(this.scale, this.scale, this.scale);

}

/**

* Allows the render to do any OpenGL state modifications necessary before the model is rendered. Args:

* entityLiving, partialTickTime

*/

protected void preRenderCallback(EntityLiving par1EntityLiving, float par2)

{

this.preRenderScale((EntityButterfly)par1EntityLiving, par2);

}

/**

* Queries whether should render the specified pass or not.

* We do our own effects here.

*/

public int shouldRenderPass(EntityLiving par1EntityLiving, int par2, float par3)

{

//TODO: Make this work (before that we go with normal lights and textures)

GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.GL_TEXTURE);

GL11.glLoadIdentity();

GL11.glMatrixMode(GL11.GL_MODELVIEW);

GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);

GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_BLEND);

return -1;

}

protected ResourceLocation func_110874_a(EntityButterfly par1EntityButterfly) {

switch (par1EntityButterfly.getSkin()) {

case 0:

return skin0;

case 1:

return skin1;

case 2:

return skin2;

case 3:

return skin3;

default:

return skin0;

}

}

@Override

protected ResourceLocation func_110775_a(Entity par1Entity) {

return this.func_110874_a((EntityButterfly)par1Entity);

}

}

Everything was running ok (with 1.5.2 and before) when I changed setSize in EntityButterfly and also registered renderer with same size (like RenderingRegistry.registerEntityRenderingHandler(EntityButterfly.class, new RenderButterfly(new ModelButterfly(1.0F), 0.2F, 0.45F)); ) but now it just doesn't so I think the problem is somewhere else but thanks any way =)

For Noah_Beech, I said this.setSize because I have this same problem with every entity when the size is anything else than normal..

All I had to do with mine is change:

protected void preRenderCallback(EntityLiving par1EntityLiving, float par2)

To:

protected void preRenderCallback(EntityLivingBase par1EntityLiving, float par2)

Thank you so much! I've been so blind... (/me feels stupid)

When the 1.6.1 came out I fixed those EntityLiving parts that didn't work anymore and somehow missed these...It seems like I got source blindness =D