[SOLVED] NullPointerException For Entity [1.16.5]

aritod

I get this stacktrace and then crash when joining my world with custom entity:

[Render thread/FATAL] [minecraft/Minecraft]: Unreported exception thrown!
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.EntityRendererManager.shouldRender(EntityRendererManager.java:238) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.renderLevel(WorldRenderer.java:987) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.GameRenderer.renderLevel(GameRenderer.java:608) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.GameRenderer.render(GameRenderer.java:425) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:976) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:607) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:184) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_171] {}
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_171] {}
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_171] {}
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_171] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:52) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:82) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
    at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:66) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
    at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:105) [forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {}

Here are my classes:

Entity Class:

383189417_ScreenShot2021-05-19at4_53_10PM.thumb.png.81746a9f254387415d5afe6e80d665d9.png

Renderer Class:

502343619_ScreenShot2021-05-19at4_53_42PM.thumb.png.908e9bde1704e97a06bab4a2b3dfb4cf.png

Registering Class:

1796129046_ScreenShot2021-05-19at4_56_55PM.thumb.png.4170c26e2091655cbf20cb8db3f7250e.png

Help would be appreciated!

Edited by aritod
Solved

• aritod changed the title to [URGENT] NullPointerException For Entity [1.16.5]

1. Don't use OnlyIn, properly side off your code.

2. You never register your entity renderer, the static method isn't called anywhere so nothing happens. Register it within FMLClientSetupEvent.

3. Attributes are never registered, same reason. Use the EntityAttributeCreationEvent for this.

Edited by ChampionAsh5357

10 hours ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

1. Don't use OnlyIn, properly side off your code.

2. You never register your entity renderer, the static method isn't called anywhere so nothing happens. Register it within FMLClientSetupEvent.

3. Attributes are never registered, same reason. Use the EntityAttributeCreationEvent for this.

Hi, sorry that was my old code. I actually did all these things beforehand but it still crashes.

My code looks like this:

Main Class:

761034157_ScreenShot2021-05-20at10_12_07AM.thumb.png.9fe2a4b852752a4797876551842db1c2.png

Renderer Class:

461794437_ScreenShot2021-05-20at10_12_28AM.thumb.png.94334e29e06917196f8abb20644e8c10.png

33 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Look at the parameters for the EventBusSubscriber annotation.

The parameter 'bus' in EventBusSubscriber is using Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD which is the mod event bus so I'm not sure why it is using the forge event bus.

The parameter 'value' does not seem to be related but I added it as a parameter because it says that it is only necessary if it is not on the same class that has a @Mod annotation.

It still crashes so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

This is my code:

2145631072_ScreenShot2021-05-20at3_32_33PM.thumb.png.77a698ec97c184e68029ffc71fff3c86.png

Please link a paste of the EntityType object initialization, where the associated register is attached to the event bus, the renderer, where the renderer is registered, and where the attributes are registered. I know you might have already sent them, but I would like full context rather than pictures of partial snippets.

Also, you shouldn't be passing in a new instance of the Reloadable resource manager. Grab the one within the Minecraft instance and pass that in.

27 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Please link a paste of the EntityType object initialization, where the associated register is attached to the event bus, the renderer, where the renderer is registered, and where the attributes are registered. I know you might have already sent them, but I would like full context rather than pictures of partial snippets.

Also, you shouldn't be passing in a new instance of the Reloadable resource manager. Grab the one within the Minecraft instance and pass that in.

https://paste.gemwire.uk/view/98040c70

1 hour ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Is the error still the same? If so, could you put breakpoints within the client setup event where you register the renderer and attribute creation to make sure both events do run and call their methods?

The error is still the same and both ClientSetupEvent and EntityAttributeCreationEvent are called after checking through debug mode.

There's nothing that suggests the error is outside of #shouldRender meaning that the entity renderer might be null somehow. However, there is nothing that suggests an error can occur there with the snippets.

Would you mind posting a link to your repository on Github, Gitlab, etc.? I'm going to build a local workspace and see if I can't debug it.

There's nothing that suggests the error is outside of #shouldRender meaning that the entity renderer might be null somehow. However, there is nothing that suggests an error can occur there with the snippets.

Would you mind posting a link to your repository on Github, Gitlab, etc.? I'm going to build a local workspace and see if I can't debug it.

https://github.com/ForgeModDev/LogFixer/tree/master

Found the error, and its annoying. The resource location being passed into the rendering handler has the modid written twice, once in the namespace and once in the path. The path does not accept colons, so an error was thrown which was eaten by the lambda and discarded. All you need to do is remove the modid and the colon from the path of the resource location in ModRenderers.

Found the error, and its annoying. The resource location being passed into the rendering handler has the modid written twice, once in the namespace and once in the path. The path does not accept colons, so an error was thrown which was eaten by the lambda and discarded. All you need to do is remove the modid and the colon from the path of the resource location in ModRenderers.

Thank you so much! Can't believe something as little as that was the cause of this. Now I can finally continue working on my mod. Thanks to everyone who helped

• aritod changed the title to [SOLVED] NullPointerException For Entity [1.16.5]

This is my first time posting on this forum, so I don't know If I should make a completely new post for this, but I am having trouble with a similar thing.

EntityRenderManager.shouldRender is throwing a NullPointerException, but the decription is "Unexpected Error".

I tried doing what OP did but it didn't fix anything. I have seperate classes for the Renderers though and it might have something to do with that.

Can I just post my code here or should I create a new topic as mentioned? (Dont wanna upset anyone)