Updating from 1.8.9 to 1.16/1.17

Iorpim

Hi,

I am trying to update an old mod from 1.8.9 to the most recent release 1.16(soon to be 1.17), however I couldn't find good resources on how to do it.

I do have programming experience, but I admit I don't really have Forge experience, so my process has been essentially "AAAAAAA: symbol unresolved --> Forge GitHub --> Search for AAAAAAA --> Maybe find something…? --> Hope it works". There must be a better way to do this, right?

I couldn't find any guides for this versions, nor could I find good documentation. The ReadTheDocs page has some examples, but what I really needed was the listing of methods, classes and method signatures, as well as the changes to deprecated methods/properties from older versions, so what's the best way to find this information, other than brute-forcing it?

a lot has changed since 1.8.9, like, a lot, almost everything. there isn't a 1 to 1 mapping from 1.8 to 1.16, you're better of just learning the new systems and rewriting the mod entirely.

as for the list of classes, methods and fields, you can get them directly from your ide.

the forge docs, and the community docs, has a lot of resources. and if there is something that isn't on the docs, and that you can't figure out by yourself, you can ask for help for that specific problem here in the forum

Edited by kiou.23

36 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

a lot has changed since 1.8.9, like, a lot, almost everything. there isn't a 1 to 1 mapping from 1.8 to 1.16, you're better of just learning the new systems and rewriting the mod entirely.

as for the list of classes, methods and fields, you can get them directly from your ide.

the forge docs, and the communiy docs, has a lot of resources. and if there is something that isn't on the docs, and that you can figure out by yourself, you can ask for help for that specific problem here in the forum

Thanks, the community docs should help quite a lot!

As a developer I still believe a detailed class-by-class documentation would be very useful in general, but that's a whole other discussion.

Again, thanks for your help.