Can't resolve symbol SpawnListEntry

Skullblade

I've been following Harry Talks' tutorials on Minecraft modding, and I've gotten to the one on entities. In his entity list Java class, he writes the following line of code to allow his custom mob to spawn in all biomes.

public static void registerEntityWorldSpawn(EntityType<?> entity, EntityClassification classification, Biome... biomes)

{

for(Biome biome : biomes)

{

if(biome != null)

{

biome.getMobSettings(classification).add(new SpawnListEntry(entity, 0, 0, 0));

}

}

}

When I tried to use the same line of code, SpawnListEntry said that that it can't be resolved. I'm guessing that it's old MCP that needs to be translated to Mojang, but the Linkie Bot can't figure it out. Here's the Java class I wrote and a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAwTCVl9Z4U&t=348s

image.thumb.png.bd381e9218aea319f316309e554009c4.png

1 hour ago, diesieben07 said:

You have to use BiomeLoadingEvent for this in 1.16.3+.

Alright, that seemed to work. I think I might have a different problem now...

They both have the same error. getMobSettings can't be applied to EntityClassification classification and BiomeLoadingEvent can't be applied to EntityType<capture<?>>, int, int, int

image.thumb.png.8aea244966557853d714091351f7e928.png

Just now, Luis_ST said:

did you read the doc? did you look at the code snippets?

I read it. Not all of it made sense, but I read it. I thought that maybe the issue was that the whole thing was subscribed, rather than just the part that used vanilla minecraft events.

1 minute ago, Skullblade said:

I read it. Not all of it made sense, but I read it. I thought that maybe the issue was that the whole thing was subscribed, rather than just the part that used vanilla minecraft events.

does it work? did your understand what you have to do?

1 minute ago, Luis_ST said:

does it work? did your understand what you have to do?

It didn't work. I got an error that I couldn't put annotations anywhere other than the line directly above the start of the code, in this case, above public static void registerEntityWorldSpawn.

I reread the article, and tried various things, but it's still not working.

First, I tried to do what was shown in the first example and put the code in public class staticForgeEventHandler and subscribe the event inside, but I got this:

image.thumb.png.85c1c3cab3b9a0f12aa2d051f3f16a15.png

After this didn't work, I tried to add that register thing at the end of the second example, but that didn't work at all.

image.thumb.png.8dcdd28786211011bb2273af02c854fb.png

7 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Learn basic Java before modding.

Pretty sure @SubscribeEvent is part of Forge, not Java. It wasn't covered in the tutorials I found online.  However, if you could recommend a video or something of how to use @SubscribeEvent, that would be great. I searched for some on YouTube and I was only able to find tutorials on Event Listeners and stuff.

4 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

The code you've shown above clearly shows you do not know basic Java.

Even if I was to go back and find another Java tutorial, I would just end up coming back here to ask the exact same questions, because no regular Java tutorial would cover Forge. But, if you're okay with rehashing this conversation in a few days/hours/etc., then I'll do it.

26 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

You need to subscribe to BiomeLoadingEvent. The linked event documentation clearly shows you how to do that. So far you have not done this, your code is not even close to the code shown in the event documentation.

How would I get my code to that point then?

13 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

The linked event documentation shows clearly how to subscribe to events. Please show your attempt at doing so.

I believe I already did up above when I sent those screenshots. If you need me to try/show something else, let me know.

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

Nothing you posted above is even close to the code shown in the documentation.

1. I have no clue where to put the code

2. There's barely any code to begin with

So, I'm guessing here. I'm starting by creating an Event Handler class. I don't know what to put in it.

image.png.85c13d817234656ead77321b89fc8e31.png

10 minutes ago, Skullblade said:

1. I have no clue where to put the code

https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/1.15.x/events/intro/#creating-an-event-handler

11 minutes ago, Skullblade said:

2. There's barely any code to begin with

if you know basic java and reading the doc, it's easy

12 minutes ago, Skullblade said:

So, I'm guessing here. I'm starting by creating an Event Handler class. I don't know what to put in it.

again read the doc and look at the code snippets this are examples

3 minutes ago, Luis_ST said:

https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/1.15.x/events/intro/#creating-an-event-handler

if you know basic java and reading the doc, it's easy

again read the doc and look at the code snippets this are examples

They are examples for printing out text in the console whenever an event goes off, not for telling a custom entity what biomes and conditions it can spawn in. I've followed all of HarryTalks' 1.14/1.15 tutorials up to now (he has a play list in order on YouTube) and I haven't had problems like this before. I refuse to believe that I need to subscribe the event when he doesn't have to in the tutorial. Yeah, I know they're old, but the only change that I know of between those versions and the current ones is MCP to Mojang. I shouldn't have to deviate from the tutorial this much to make a simple mob.

I'm going to be royally pissed if I need to go and find myself a third tutorial on how to mod Minecraft. Because then I'll have to delete an entire month's worth of work and start over when I was under the assumption that by this point, I would be able to code in simple entities, dimensions, guis, and items and I could begin actually getting somewhere with my mod. I apologize if I no longer sound polite, but I am angry, depressed, and consumed by the thought that I will have to give up on this project. So I will ask again. Why can't Forge resolve the symbol SpawnListEntry, or in this new version, BiomeLoadingEvent, when in HarryTalks' tutorial, there's no such issue?

Here are each of the error messages. This is all I have.

'getMobSettings()' in 'net.minecraft.world.biome.Biome' cannot be applied to '(net.minecraft.entity.EntityClassification)'

'BiomeLoadingEvent(net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation, net.minecraft.world.biome.Biome.Climate, net.minecraft.world.biome.Biome.Category, float, float, net.minecraft.world.biome.BiomeAmbience, net.minecraftforge.common.world.BiomeGenerationSettingsBuilder, ...)' in 'net.minecraftforge.event.world.BiomeLoadingEvent' cannot be applied to '(net.minecraft.entity.EntityType<capture<?>>, int, int, int)'

image.thumb.png.44c9bd7f68f90f50b9caf6cc5cf5577d.png

image.png

your tutorial is for version 1.14 / 1.15, but minecraft change the biome/world gen (also include entity spawning) in 1.16.2, if you try your code in 1.16.1 it will work
also you don't need to create a new Event, subscribe to it!

okay there you don't understand what to do:

use the code snippet from the static EventHandle and replace the event with BiomeLoadingEvent,
and then check out the methods in the event (e.g. BiomeLoadingEvent#getSpawns), than do your logic there

Edited by Luis_ST

9 minutes ago, Luis_ST said:

your tutorial is for version 1.14 / 1.15, but minecraft change the biome/world gen (also include entity spawning) in 1.16.2, if you try your code in 1.16.1 it will work
also you don't need to create a new Event, subscribe to it!

okay there you don't understand what to do:

use the code snippet from the static EventHandle and replace the event with BiomeLoadingEvent,
and then check out the methods in the event (e.g. BiomeLoadingEvent#getSpawns), than do your logic there

I know this isn't all of what you were asking, but I wanted to know if I was on the right track. I'm not sure where to go from here. Not sure where to check for methods, or what logic to code in.

image.thumb.png.d1adac443f4113e7f4d10bc1b7249ac5.png

Just now, Skullblade said:

Sweet. Now what?

Congratulations you have now successfully subscribed to an event

now use BiomeLoadingEvent#getSpawns to get the MobSpawnInfo.Builder for the biome,
then use MobSpawnInfo.Builder#addSpawn to add a new ModSpawn
MobSpawnInfo.Spawners need 4 parameter:

1. the entity you want to spawn
  2. the weight of the spwn
  3. the min spawn count
  4. the max spawn count

you can take a look in DefaultBiomeFeatures#farmAnimals this is an simple example what you have to do

7 minutes ago, Luis_ST said:

Congratulations you have now successfully subscribed to an event

now use BiomeLoadingEvent#getSpawns to get the MobSpawnInfo.Builder for the biome,
then use MobSpawnInfo.Builder#addSpawn to add a new ModSpawn
MobSpawnInfo.Spawners need 4 parameter:

1. the entity you want to spawn
  2. the weight of the spwn
  3. the min spawn count
  4. the max spawn count

you can take a look in DefaultBiomeFeatures#farmAnimals this is an simple example what you have to do

Ok, so I have this now.

image.thumb.png.d30f53c645189b23bc0096a8c26866a9.png

Is there a specific code I need to enter in genericName's place (I chose a temporary name because I didn't know what to use) or can I name it something easier to remember?

• Confused 1