How would I go about changing the values of vanilla tools?

Leronus

I would like to change the harvestLevels of the diamond pickaxe and iron pickaxe. How would I go about doing this? I tried to look at the item property changer mods source code, but I honestly didn't quite comprehend what was happening there.

My knowledge of Java is very basic, so that's why I've struggled finding a good solution for this. Still in my first year of studying and experimenting with Java.

I am modding for Minecraft 1.16.5

you can use events to modify tools

- PlayerEvent#HarvestCheck -> harvestLevel
- PlayerEvent#BreakSpeed -> breakSpeed
- LivingDamageEvent -> damage of tools
- LivingEntityUseItemEvent -> durablity

Edited by Luis_ST

5 hours ago, Luis_ST said:

you can use events to modify tools

- PlayerEvent#HarvestCheck -> harvestLevel
- PlayerEvent#BreakSpeed -> breakSpeed
- LivingDamageEvent -> damage of tools
- LivingEntityUseItemEvent -> durablity

Without any context this does not make any sense to me... How can I possibly change a value of a vanilla TieredItem (in this case diamond_pickaxe) by using a method that checks whether a block can be harvested?

How do I go about doing this?

public class HarvestLevel extends PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck {
    private boolean isHarvestable = true;
    public HarvestLevel(PlayerEntity player, BlockState state, boolean success) {
        super(player, state, success);
        if (player.getMainHandItem().getItem() == Items.DIAMOND_PICKAXE){
            if (super.getTargetBlock().getHarvestLevel() <= 5){
                success = isHarvestable;
            }
        }
        super.setCanHarvest(success);
    }
}

This is what I've tried so far, but I'm not sure where to implement this class...

I've read the documentation, but it does not clarify things for me. I tried adding the bus annotations but it did not help in any way.

This is noted in the Java documentation of the HarvestCheck class:

This event is fired whenever a player attempts to harvest a block in EntityPlayer.canHarvestBlock(IBlockState).  

This event is fired via the ForgeEventFactory.doPlayerHarvestCheck(EntityPlayer, IBlockState, boolean).  

This event is fired on the MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.

I can't add subscribe events to constructor methods, but if I don't use the constructor then I can't call the setCanHarvest method in the HarvestCheck class.

Could you please clarify how to create your own event and have it override an existing one? 

I don't comprehend the Forge documentation as is...

40 minutes ago, Leronus said:

public class HarvestLevel extends PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck {

This is how you create a new type of event, you want to handle an existing event type.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

12 minutes ago, Luis_ST said:

do you know java?
because you either haven't read the doc about the events or you basically can't java...

the doc's have code examples why you don't look at them again and try to transfer them to the event you need

I mentioned before my knowledge of Java is basic. I'm currently still in my first year of studying.

I have read the doc, but there is a difference in not reading it and not understanding it. I simply don't understand it, English not being my mother language could be the main cause idk.

Are there any tutorials going into further detail about how the events work? 

Edited by Leronus

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = "mores", bus = Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.FORGE, value = Dist.CLIENT)
public class HarvestCheck {
    @SubscribeEvent
    public static boolean doPlayerHarvestCheck(PlayerEntity player, BlockState state, boolean success)
    {
        PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck event = new PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck(player, state, success);
            if (state.getHarvestLevel() <= 5){
                success = true;
            }
        }
        event.setCanHarvest(success);
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.post(event);
        return event.canHarvest();
    }
}

Now it's crashing. I've read the docs 10 times over and I still don't understand. What am I doing wrong?

9 minutes ago, Leronus said:

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = "mores", bus = Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.FORGE, value = Dist.CLIENT)
    @SubscribeEvent
    public static boolean doPlayerHarvestCheck(PlayerEntity player, BlockState state, boolean success)
    {
        PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck event = new PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck(player, state, success);
            if (state.getHarvestLevel() <= 5){
                success = true;
            }
        }
        return event.canHarvest();
    }
}

Now it's crashing. I've read the docs 10 times over and I still don't understand. What am I doing wrong?

I realise I need to pass only one argument in a subscribeEvent, but then how on earth am I supposed to get the blockstate and the playerentity?

Just now, Leronus said:

I realise I need to pass only one argument in a subscribeEvent, but then how on earth am I supposed to get the blockstate and the playerentity?

I beg for an example, because in the documentation there's only code for creating a new event, not modifying an existing one...

4 minutes ago, Leronus said:

subscribing to the event looks good, only that you do not have to give any parameters in the EventBusSubscriber

your doPlayerHarvestCheck method creates a new event, but you shouldn't
used PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck as a parameter in your method, also set the return value to void
then do your code there and use Event#... to get the player, and the other things that are given from the event

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void doPlayerHarvestCheck(PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck event)
    {
        boolean success = false;
        if (event.getPlayer().getMainHandItem().getItem() == Items.DIAMOND_PICKAXE){
            if (event.getTargetBlock().getHarvestLevel() <= 5){
                success = true;
            }
        }
    }
}

This time the game crash as I tried to harvest a block. Not sure what I broke this time.

Error log:

Time: 01/07/2021, 20:39
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Attempted to set event phase to NORMAL when already NORMAL
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.Event.setPhase(Event.java:173) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.EventPriority.invoke(EventPriority.java:48) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:302) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:283) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at mod.mores.harvestlevel.HarvestCheck.doPlayerHarvestCheck(HarvestCheck.java:25) ~[main/:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler_15_HarvestCheck_doPlayerHarvestCheck_HarvestCheck.invoke(.dynamic) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:85) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:302) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:283) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.event.ForgeEventFactory.doPlayerHarvestCheck(ForgeEventFactory.java:176) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.canHarvestBlock(ForgeHooks.java:220) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraft.block.AbstractBlock.getDestroyProgress(AbstractBlock.java:300) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraft.block.AbstractBlock$AbstractBlockState.getDestroyProgress(AbstractBlock.java:503) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerController.startDestroyBlock(PlayerController.java:152) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startAttack(Minecraft.java:1311) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.handleKeybinds(Minecraft.java:1641) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.tick(Minecraft.java:1460) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:953) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:607) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:184) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?] {}
	at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?] {}
	at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?] {}
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:52) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:82) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:66) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:105) [forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {}

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Thread: Render thread
Stacktrace:
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.Event.setPhase(Event.java:173) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.EventPriority.invoke(EventPriority.java:48) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at mod.mores.harvestlevel.HarvestCheck.doPlayerHarvestCheck(HarvestCheck.java:25) ~[main/:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler_15_HarvestCheck_doPlayerHarvestCheck_HarvestCheck.invoke(.dynamic) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.eventbus.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:85) ~[eventbus-4.0.0.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.event.ForgeEventFactory.doPlayerHarvestCheck(ForgeEventFactory.java:176) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.canHarvestBlock(ForgeHooks.java:220) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraft.block.AbstractBlock.getDestroyProgress(AbstractBlock.java:300) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraft.block.AbstractBlock$AbstractBlockState.getDestroyProgress(AbstractBlock.java:503) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading}
	at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerController.startDestroyBlock(PlayerController.java:152) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startAttack(Minecraft.java:1311) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.handleKeybinds(Minecraft.java:1641) ~[forge:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
-- Affected level --
Details:
	All players: 1 total; [ClientPlayerEntity['Dev'/137, l='ClientLevel', x=-235.98, y=67.00, z=-281.58]]
	Chunk stats: Client Chunk Cache: 1369, 440
	Level dimension: minecraft:overworld
	Level spawn location: World: (-160,75,-128), Chunk: (at 0,4,0 in -10,-8; contains blocks -160,0,-128 to -145,255,-113), Region: (-1,-1; contains chunks -32,-32 to -1,-1, blocks -512,0,-512 to -1,255,-1)
	Level time: 6875 game time, 6875 day time
	Server brand: forge
	Server type: Integrated singleplayer server
Stacktrace:
	at net.minecraft.client.world.ClientWorld.fillReportDetails(ClientWorld.java:447) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.fillReport(Minecraft.java:2029) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:628) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:184) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {re:classloading,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?] {}
	at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?] {}
	at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?] {}
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:52) ~[forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:37) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:54) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:72) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:82) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:66) [modlauncher-8.0.9.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:105) [forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.jar:?] {}

-- System Details --
Details:
	Minecraft Version: 1.16.5
	Minecraft Version ID: 1.16.5
	Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
	Java Version: 13.0.2, AdoptOpenJDK
	Java VM Version: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode, sharing), AdoptOpenJDK
	Memory: 277255168 bytes (264 MB) / 1300234240 bytes (1240 MB) up to 8571060224 bytes (8174 MB)
	CPUs: 16
	JVM Flags: 1 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump
	ModLauncher: 8.0.9+86+master.3cf110c
	ModLauncher launch target: fmluserdevclient
	ModLauncher naming: mcp
	ModLauncher services: 
		/mixin-0.8.2.jar mixin PLUGINSERVICE 
		/eventbus-4.0.0.jar eventbus PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-launcher.jar object_holder_definalize PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-launcher.jar runtime_enum_extender PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-launcher.jar capability_inject_definalize PLUGINSERVICE 
		/accesstransformers-3.0.1.jar accesstransformer PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-launcher.jar runtimedistcleaner PLUGINSERVICE 
		/mixin-0.8.2.jar mixin TRANSFORMATIONSERVICE 
		/forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-launcher.jar fml TRANSFORMATIONSERVICE 
	FML: 36.1
	Forge: net.minecraftforge:36.1.0
	FML Language Providers: 
		javafml@36.1
		minecraft@1
	Mod List: 
		client-extra.jar                                  |Minecraft                     |minecraft                     |1.16.5              |DONE      |a1:d4:5e:04:4f:d3:d6:e0:7b:37:97:cf:77:b0:de:ad:4a:47:ce:8c:96:49:5f:0a:cf:8c:ae:b2:6d:4b:8a:3f
		forge-1.16.5-36.1.0_mapped_official_1.16.5-recomp.|Forge                         |forge                         |36.1.0              |DONE      |NOSIGNATURE
		main                                              |mOres                         |mores                         |NONE                |DONE      |NOSIGNATURE
	Crash Report UUID: 56202530-8ae4-4c70-a4c1-e9133f437ca0
	Launched Version: MOD_DEV
	Backend library: LWJGL version 3.2.2 build 10
	Backend API: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT GL version 4.6.14831 Compatibility Profile Context 21.5.2 27.20.21003.8013, ATI Technologies Inc.
	GL Caps: Using framebuffer using OpenGL 3.0
	Using VBOs: Yes
	Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'forge'
	Type: Client (map_client.txt)
	Graphics mode: fast
	Resource Packs: 
	Current Language: English (US)
	CPU: 16x AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 
[20:39:43] [Render thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.util.registry.Bootstrap:realStdoutPrintln:123]: #@!@# Game crashed! Crash report saved to: #@!@# C:\Users\Leron\Desktop\Mores\mOres_1.16.5\run\.\crash-reports\crash-2021-07-01_20.39.43-client.txt
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

Process finished with exit code -1