Trying to check if chunk is fully loaded (1.16.5)

InspectorCaracal

I know I said I didn't want to make a new thread, but it's still not working, so here we are.

I have an EntityJoinWorldEvent function. I'm trying to set it so that it has a check to make sure it's not while the chunk is loading. So far, everything I've tried has resulted in the game saying the chunk is loaded during the initial entering-the-game loading phase and then never getting past the 100% indicator.

This is what I currently have:

@SubscribeEvent
public static void beeSpawn(EntityJoinWorldEvent event) {
	if (event.getEntity() instanceof BeeEntity) {
		LOGGER.debug("It's a bee!");
		BeeEntity bee = (BeeEntity)event.getEntity();
		World world = event.getWorld();
		if (!world.isClientSide()) {
			LOGGER.debug("It's the server!");
			if (bee.hasHive()) {
				BlockPos hive_pos = bee.getHivePos();
				if (world.getChunkSource().getChunkNow(hive_pos.getX() >> 4, hive_pos.getY() >> 4) != null) {
					LOGGER.debug("Hive is loaded");
					Block hive_block =  world.getBlockState(hive_pos).getBlock();
					LOGGER.debug(hive_block.toString());
					if (hive_block instanceof BeehiveBlock) {
						BeehiveTileEntity hiveEntity = (BeehiveTileEntity)world.getBlockEntity(hive_pos);
						if (world.getBiome(hive_pos).getTemperature(hive_pos) < 0.95F) {
							LOGGER.debug("Bee attempted leaving the hive, but it's too cold.");
							hiveEntity.addOccupant(bee, false);
							event.setCanceled(true);
						}
					}

} else {
					LOGGER.debug("Hive isn't loaded yet, ignoring");
				}
			} else {
				LOGGER.debug("Hiveless bee, ignoring");
			}
		}
	}
}

And this is what I get to console:

[20:10:42] [Server thread/INFO] [minecraft/MinecraftServer]: Preparing start region for dimension minecraft:overworld
[20:10:44] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 0%
[20:10:44] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 0%
[20:10:44] [Server thread/DEBUG] [co.cl.be.ev.ModEvents/]: It's a bee!
[20:10:44] [Server thread/DEBUG] [co.cl.be.ev.ModEvents/]: It's the server!
[20:10:44] [Server thread/DEBUG] [co.cl.be.ev.ModEvents/]: Hive isn't loaded yet, ignoring
[20:10:44] [Server thread/DEBUG] [co.cl.be.ev.ModEvents/]: Hiveless bee, ignoring
[20:10:44] [Server thread/DEBUG] [co.cl.be.ev.ModEvents/]: Hive is loaded
[20:10:47] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[20:10:47] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[20:10:47] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 95%
[20:10:48] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 95%
[20:10:48] [Render thread/INFO] [minecraft/LoggingChunkStatusListener]: Preparing spawn area: 96%

Aaaand then it just sits with the loading screen saying 100% forever. It's obviously getting stuck on "Block hive_block =  world.getBlockState(hive_pos).getBlock();" which I'm guessing is because it's trying to access block info while the chunk is loading and causing a deadlock, which means that this is still the wrong way to check if a chunk is fully loaded.

How do I fix this?

8 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Yes, EntityJoinWorldEvent is called during chunk loading. So if you try to access the chunk (which you do indirectly with getBlockState) then you have a deadlock, because the chunk can't be loaded until your event handler is completed, but your event handler is waiting for the chunk to be loaded.

From what I can tell the reason getChunkNow doesn't work for you here is that the chunk is already half-loaded (see ChunkStatus) and in this case getChunkNow does not bail out and return null, instead if waits for it to be fully loaded.

See ForgeInternalHandler for how Forge deals with this problem by delaying things by 1 tick.

I'll take a look, but does this mean there isn't anything that'll tell me if it's only half loaded? I was really aiming for not executing the code block during chunk loading as much as possible, but as far as I can tell, this is the event to use for bees exiting their hives so I have to account for chunk loading as well.

1 hour ago, diesieben07 said:

I don't think so. Look at ForgeInternalHandler.

Ah, mild bummer. Yeah, I took a look at it, but I'm not at my dev machine right now so it'll be a few hours before I can try anything out.

In the meantime, though, I noticed the delayed executor uses addFreshEntity, which is the same method for bees leaving hives and has me questioning my entire event. I had assumed addFreshEntity triggers the onEntityJoinWorld event, but that makes ForgeInternalHandler look like it would just continually remove and recreate the entity every tick which is obviously not right. Does the executor not trigger events, or does addFreshEntity not count as an entity join event? If it's the latter, what does addFreshEntity trigger, because that's what I need to be using.

(Tangentially, I've been continually impressed by the scope of your knowledge of the code base and active presence on the forum, and I know that support work can feel incredibly thankless and exhausting so I wanted to mention that I really appreciate all the help!)

3 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

It only calls addFreshEntity if it cancels the event, meaning the original entity is not spawned.

Right, sorry, I wasn't clear.

What it looks like this does is, if the item has a custom entity, it cancels the spawn event and reschedules a new spawn event for the new entity. But I'd think that would then, on execution, trigger this event again, match the custom entity condition, cancel the spawn, reschedule, etc.

I know this isn't what it does and I'm probably missing something completely obvious, but I can't figure out how this doesn't just continually cancel and reschedule the entity spawn and I want to make sure I understand how it works before I try using parts of it myself.