[1.17.1] The mining speed of my block is unaffected by the tool in use.

DireTook

Hello,

Despite setting the harvestTool, harvestLevel and strength of the block, the mining speed of my block doesn't change regardless of the level of pickaxe or if I use of a supposedly unsuitable tool instead. I get the same mining speed with fists as a netherite pick.

image.thumb.png.a6f4c6c527a20cbd348f9dc333bef303.png

The usage of destroy time did increase the mining speed but was still unaffected by tools.

I looked at the register for Diorite as it seems to be a similar block, but can't see any reason that would be affected by tools and my block isn't?

Could anyone please tell me what I'm missing? 

I've attempted to add .setRequiresTool() as it was suggested it works in this thread: 

but that no longer seems to be an option in 1.17 with BlockBehaviour.

Ah right, I'm completely unfamiliar with tags so apologies. Thanks for the reply though.

I've attempted to add as you've said and ended up with two .Jsons under tags.blocks. One for mineable/pickaxe and one for needs_stone_tools both with code similar to: 

Capture.PNG.e3e21403a01e1283e085c58ab9f448a6.PNG 

However this doesn't seem to change anything yet and nothing I've found has been clear about the best way to add to blocks to vanilla block tags although custom tags and recipe stuff is talked about a lot. I figured its properly not best to just add my block to the BlockTagProvider class? Is there something I'm missing or am I just going the completely wrong direction?

17 minutes ago, DireTook said:

However this doesn't seem to change anything yet and nothing I've found has been clear about the best way to add to blocks to vanilla block tags although custom tags and recipe stuff is talked about a lot. I figured its properly not best to just add my block to the BlockTagProvider class? Is there something I'm missing or am I just going the completely wrong direction?

show the complete path of the tags

Its src/main/resources/data.tutorialmod_uniqueid309.tags.blocks.mineable.pickaxe.json

and src/main/resources/data.tutorialmod_uniqueid309.tags.blocks.needs_stone_tools.json

image.png.6c94764821f2ae5284aa8ff5d130ec51.png

for this I have replaced the "examplemod:example_object" with my names: "tutorialmod_uniqueid309:example_block" 

Edited by DireTook

32 minutes ago, DireTook said:

Its src/main/resources/data.tutorialmod_uniqueid309.tags.blocks.mineable.pickaxe.json

and src/main/resources/data.tutorialmod_uniqueid309.tags.blocks.needs_stone_tools.json

this are minecraft tags, so you need to put them in data.minecraft.tags folder

• Thanks 1

That worked! Thank you very much!

Although the Minecraft folder didn't show in my main directory till I tried to add the tags.block folder to it in the Project and External Dependencies which I found odd. Maybe that's normal eclipse thing I've not experienced yet :D