Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[1.16.5] How to set biome at specific chunk?

sasetz

15 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

You should really only do this server side if you can help it and then update the clients using the packet.

Ok, that makes sense

15 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Yes, but it's the brute-force approach because it re-sends the entire chunk data.

I understand that and still, how do I send this packet? I found info only about custom packets, not the vanilla ones

Thank you for your replies!

3 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Look at what PacketDistributor#trackingChunk does.

I've done the same thing that this method does, but the problem on screenshot (https://imgur.com/a/9qNBhxS) remains. Sometimes everything changes ok but the rest of the times the result is the same as in the screenshot. Breaking/placing block inside the chunk fixes the problem

public void changeBiome() {
        if(!level.isClientSide()){
            // Now this piece of code runs only on server side
            final Chunk chunk = level.getChunkAt(worldPosition);
            Biome[] biomes = chunk.getBiomes().biomes;
            for (int i = 0, biomesLength = biomes.length; i < biomesLength; i++) {
                DynamicRegistries reg = level.registryAccess();
                MutableRegistry<Biome> a = reg.registry(Registry.BIOME_REGISTRY).get();
                Biome biome = a.get(Biomes.DESERT.location());
                biomes[i] = biome;
            }
            // This line does basically the same that PacketDistributor#trackingChunk does
            ((ServerChunkProvider)level.getChunkSource()).chunkMap.getPlayers(chunk.getPos(), false)
                    .forEach(e -> e.connection.send(new SChunkDataPacket(chunk, 65535)));
        }
        else {
            // Update chunk?
        }
    }

I guess that the only thing remains is to update the chunk on client, how can I do that?

59 minutes ago, sasetz said:

I guess that the only thing remains is to update the chunk on client, how can I do that?

SChunkDataPacket does this when it is received on the client. I am not sure why it doesn't work for you. Please post a Git repo of your mod so I can test this.

26 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

I am sorry, but I don't know why it doesn't work. The client receives the chunk data packet and ithas the correct biomes in it. It then decides to re-render the chunk. I don't know why it renders with the wrong colors.

Well, still, thank you for your help! I will continue searching for what's happening, so if I find something, I'll post it here

So far I figured out that the update doesn't affect the whole chunk, several layers of grass or leaves can be different colors at the same time