[1.16.4] Custom entity follow player

vassdeniss

Vanilla animals already have similar behavior. For example, pigs follow you when you hold a carrot or a carrot on a stick. 
That's achieved by adding the TemptGoal to the registerGoals method. Here's an example from the vanilla pig class:

this.goalSelector.addGoal(4, new TemptGoal(this, 1.2D, Ingredient.of(Items.CARROT_ON_A_STICK), false));

You can also use commas where it says Items.CARROT_ON_A_STICK to add more than one item.

P.S.: I'm not sure how you would go about making it follow the player when it's given a specific item, maybe taming?

12 minutes ago, uSkizzik said:

Vanilla animals already have similar behavior. For example, pigs follow you when you hold a carrot or a carrot on a stick. 
That's achieved by adding the TemptGoal to the registerGoals method. Here's an example from the vanilla pig class:

this.goalSelector.addGoal(4, new TemptGoal(this, 1.2D, Ingredient.of(Items.CARROT_ON_A_STICK), false));

You can also use commas where it says Items.CARROT_ON_A_STICK to add more than one item.

P.S.: I'm not sure how you would go about making it follow the player when it's given a specific item, maybe taming?

Ingredient.of doesn't exist for me?

The pig class is:

this.goalSelector.addGoal(4, new TemptGoal(this, 1.2D, Ingredient.fromItems(Items.CARROT_ON_A_STICK), false));

I have Ingredient.fromItems() but that gives me a "Cannot resolve constructor" error.

Also how would taming work?

Edited by vassdeniss
Added more info

Just now, vassdeniss said:

I have Ingredient.fromItems() but that gives me a "Cannot resolve constructor" error.

Are you sure? I just checked my old 1.16 project and the class name seems the same.
Are you importing net.minecraft.item.crafting.Ingredient?

7 minutes ago, uSkizzik said:

this is easy, copy the logic of the TemptGoal, and change it to your logic
if the Player gives the item to the entity save the Player,
then check in the goal whether a player has been saved in your entity (! = null check),
if this is the case, take the part of the TemptGoal where the entity follows another entity

8 minutes ago, vassdeniss said:

The pig class is:

this.goalSelector.addGoal(4, new TemptGoal(this, 1.2D, Ingredient.fromItems(Items.CARROT_ON_A_STICK), false));

Oh, so you're using MCP mappings, alright.
Are you using the same line of code? Does Ingridient.fromItems give you a "Cannot resolve contructor" error?

3 minutes ago, vassdeniss said:

Just fixed it. It was my extension. I was extending bat entity which cant have a temptgoal for some reason?

Any living entity should be able to have TemptGoal. I looked a bit into the class and it requires a PathfinderMob which both MonsterEntity and CreatureEntity / AnimalEntity extend.
Anyway, you can use luis's solution for making the entity follow the player when given the item.

Edit: Turns out the bat is an "AmbientCreature" which is a class that doesn't extend PathfinderMob. Bats seem to not be able to have goals.

Edited by uSkizzik

1 minute ago, uSkizzik said:

Any living entity should be able to have TemptGoal. I looked a bit into the class and it requires a PathfinderMob which both MonsterEntity and CreatureEntity / AnimalEntity extend.
Anyway, you can use luis's solution for making the entity follow the player when given the item.

Thats the problem then. BatEntity extends AmbientEntity

Just now, vassdeniss said:

Thats the problem then. BatEntity extends AmbientEntity

Exactly. I hope that solves the issue. If you really need to extend BatEntity, you can extend it and override the customServerAiStep() method.
Add super.customServerAiStep() to keep the bat AI or don't to make completely custom AI. If you override that method you will need to adapt the TemptGoal code to work.
Also, according to forge-bot, customServerAiStep is updateAITasks for you but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

4 minutes ago, uSkizzik said:

Exactly. I hope that solves the issue. If you really need to extend BatEntity, you can extend it and override the customServerAiStep() method.
Add super.customServerAiStep() to keep the bat AI or don't to make completely custom AI. If you override that method you will need to adapt the TemptGoal code to work.
Also, according to forge-bot, customServerAiStep is updateAITasks for you but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

It is updateAiTasks and i just overridden it and yes i do wanna keep the AI so i kept the super call but the TemptGoal still gives errors? Im missing something?

5 minutes ago, vassdeniss said:

It is updateAiTasks and i just overridden it and yes i do wanna keep the AI so i kept the super call but the TemptGoal still gives errors? Im missing something?

You aren't supposed to add the goal like the other entities. You literally have to use the code from that class and put it in the updateAITasks.
Also, make sure to check if the bat isn't resting when you run the code to follow the player.

3 minutes ago, uSkizzik said:

You aren't supposed to add the goal like the other entities. You literally have to use the code from that class and put it in the updateAITasks.
Also, make sure to check if the bat isn't resting when you run the code to follow the player.

Put the temptgoal in?

2 hours ago, spiceagent11 said:

Bats don't have the registerGoals() method.