trying to install 1.17 forge instead brings up a extraction window (mutiple file viewers and java reinstalls tried)

saitama

12 minutes ago, ImNotJahan said:

Make sure you're opening it with java and not 7zip or something like that

thats the one thing I should have mentioned, in the "open with" menu java isnt there unless I put it there, and even then it does either nothing happens or java says it cant open the application

10 minutes ago, ImNotJahan said:

What's the path you're using for java when trying to add java to the "open with" menu

Edit: also what is the name of the forge installer you're using

C; (kept going to emoji so I put ; instead) > program files (x86) > java, then I picked a few files with the java logo since those made the most sense to me

and the name of the installer is forge-1.17.1-37.0.0-installer from the official site

Edited by saitama

3 minutes ago, ImNotJahan said:

Well that's the right java, it just looks like the installer is to large for some reason. This probably is a problem with cache or something so I'd first try restarting your computer if you haven't done that yet

just restarted didnt change

6 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

You cannot use jar files with the "Open with" menu (it also looks like you picked "Open with javaws" instead of "Open with java"). You must double click them.

If double clicking the jar file does not work, use Jarfix.

Make sure you have Java installed and try running Jarfix once, then try the installer again.

dude I love you I finally got to the install menu, if I could hug you right now I would