Hook into Fog/Water Clarity

Azaka7

I would love to be able to hook a helmet's renderHelmetOverlay (or some other method) into EntityRenderer.setupFog(int,float), specifically the section of that method that checks for water breathing effect or respiration enchant to change the water clarity. A hook into EntityRenderer.updateFogColor(float), which also checks for those things, might also be nice. The hook could be used for helmets that make water more/less clear. If the hook is into several parts of the method or the method itself, the hook could be used to create helmets that can make the overlay lava or fog clearer.

If the water clarity goal can be achieved without a hook, please let me know.

Thank you in advance to any help provided. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've created a small API that does at least what I wanted to be able to do. Once I've done some more testing, I'll set up a download link and instructions on how to use and install it (probably as a thread on the Minecraft forums). Basically, it gives modders the ability to determine the strength/thickness of various types of fog (like that of water, lava, and something called "cloud" fog) as well as alter the color of the fog. Because it's interface-based, it's sensitive, but things go well when used strictly. I'm seeing it out in the next 24 hours.

As I said before, this crap isn't needed you guys wanna change a files to something lower then the rendering will allow.

Seriously. You guys have yet to actually say what you wanna do and why.

AND you ship the whole decompiled mojang class really.. bad form man ...

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

As I said before, this crap isn't needed you guys wanna change a files to something lower then the rendering will allow.

Ok. What I wanna do: Change the color and strength of water fog. Why? I want to be able to make water more clear (and adapt its color slightly so it still looks good) when a player is wearing a helmet. I would use this with my mod, AlgaeCraft, to make a SCUBA mask clear up the player's vision under water. I don't want to make the mask defaultly have the respiration enchant so it can still be enchanted by the player. The API/modification I made also allows for changing of color and clarity of lava, which could be seen as useful to some modders.  Other modders might use the ability for the creation of different enchants, potion effects, or even armor similar to the mask. As for shipping the entire decompiled file, how might I avoid that? I also don't entirely get what you mean by " changing a files to something lower than the rendering will allow." For my own and recommended usage, the rendering stays within the limits.

Now that you know what I want to do and why, consider adding a hook or interface that can be used to achieve this goal into Forge. That way, there won't be a need for the separate API. I am willing to accept whatever suggestions you have if you don't want the requested functionality as a part of Forge for some reason. Thank you for your time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just gonna bump this one more time with a more organized version of what I typed above.

Subject of request: A hook or an interface (or any more convenient item) that allows for the customization of "fog" under certain circumstances. (Fog being what is rendered under water/in lava/with blindness).

Why?/For What?: I would use it to give a respiration-like visual effect to SCUBA goggles (clearer). Depending on the extend of fog customization, modders could create better potion effects or add better visual alterations to helmets.

Other information:

I don't want to use the respiration enchantment for the visual, because I want the googles to be able to be separately enchanted. I can't simply call a method from the respiration enchantment or any potion effect because there is none. The method rendering the fog only checks if the player has any of the factors.

I would really appreciate it if the ability to customize fog, even to a small degree, was added to Forge. I dislike the idea of having to sustain and distribute the Fog Clarity API as much as you might, but I will keep it if necessary. I'm sure that there are many other modders that would like the ability to change water fog and other forms of fog. Thank you for your time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to very strongly agree with this suggestion, as I feel its very important, but for a slightly different reason.

Many modpacks add quite a variety of liquids - but when "diving" into them, the fog color is either water or lava.

Ability to override the color would increase the immersion of these mods significantly.

Ability to control the depth of fog present would be quite useful as well, for custom liquids as well as for reasons described here (custom equipment, potion effects, and the like).

TL;DR:  +1.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to very strongly agree with this suggestion, as I feel its very important, but for a slightly different reason.

Many modpacks add quite a variety of liquids - but when "diving" into them, the fog color is either water or lava.

Ability to override the color would increase the immersion of these mods significantly.

Ability to control the depth of fog present would be quite useful as well, for custom liquids as well as for reasons described here (custom equipment, potion effects, and the like).

TL;DR:  +1.

Oh, ya! That crossed my mind, but I guess I forgot about it. Huh. :) Oil could actually look black instead of blue from the inside.

you may think its not "Needed" but technically forge is not needed for making a mod some other bloke could vary well make there own api for there mod.

what there saying is that the mod may not have direct use for you or others but give people an ability to use it and people will probably use it.

For example:

a person is making a race mod to add races like dwarves elves and so on. In caves the mod could add fog then some races with the hook would be able to see thru the fog while others can't.

as well as what Azaka7 is trying to do

it would be nice to have the ability to change the fog clarity

give them the means to do something and they will use it that's my opinion

They have the means, in the respiration enchantment.

What they are wanting to do is set a number outside the range that rendering allows and thus cause GL error spam.

I've yet to see how that's a good idea.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

technically speaking what they are wanting to achieve is the ability to change the clarity of the water fog based on if you have an equipped item and/or respiration enchantment. not necessarily changing the rendering if doesn't have to be a change that affects lighting or render distance. just to be able to change how the underwater fog works.

They have the means, in the respiration enchantment.

What they are wanting to do is set a number outside the range that rendering allows and thus cause GL error spam.

I've yet to see how that's a good idea.

So, I doubt you've looked at how Minecraft determines the intensity of water fog.... In a certain class file, it checks to see if the player is wearing a helmet with the respiration enchant, then sets the fog's strength to a value corresponding to the respiration's strength. It also changes the color of the water fog, brightening it when the respiration is higher. The enchant itself doesn't tell Minecraft to reduce the fog. I've checked. I don't want to force the respiration enchant onto the helmet/mask because of the default breathing ability and the inability to enchant it further without books. As for GL error spam, I've been using my makeshift API, and not once have I gotten GL error spam when things are set up correctly. The fog levels can go surprisingly low and high. The colors have a wonderful range as well.