Can't Install The New Forge forge-1.17.1-37.0.108-installer

thisfunnydude1

Hello im trying to post here because im am trying to install the new forge now i know its easy and ive done it before but this is something new that i havnt ran into before can someone help when i try to install forge the installer tells The directory is missing a launcher profile. Please run the minecraft launcher first with i have done i have a world that i play on daily so no need to run the minecraft launcher again or maybe im missing something but then when i click ok it tells me (there is no minecraft launcher in my .minecraft folder please help

7 hours ago, thisfunnydude1 said:

Hello im trying to post here because im am trying to install the new forge now i know its easy and ive done it before but this is something new that i havnt ran into before can someone help when i try to install forge the installer tells The directory is missing a launcher profile. Please run the minecraft launcher first with i have done i have a world that i play on daily so no need to run the minecraft launcher again or maybe im missing something but then when i click ok it tells me (there is no minecraft launcher in my .minecraft folder please help

Go to the folder:

C:\Users\[YOUR_USER_HERE]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

change the name of:

launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

to launcher_profiles.json

install as usual.

After installation, 

delete the newly created launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

and change the name of   launcher_profiles.json to launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

Now it should work, basically forge should update the installer to detect the new launcher_profiles too.

EDIT:

I just saw that on the github repository, the source is already updated to detect microsoft's new profile names, they just have to update the downloadable installer to use the new version.

Edited by Rucadi

On 11/13/2021 at 9:46 AM, Rucadi said:

Go to the folder:

C:\Users\[YOUR_USER_HERE]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

change the name of:

launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

to launcher_profiles.json

install as usual.

After installation, 

delete the newly created launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

and change the name of   launcher_profiles.json to launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

Now it should work, basically forge should update the installer to detect the new launcher_profiles too.

EDIT:

I just saw that on the github repository, the source is already updated to detect microsoft's new profile names, they just have to update the downloadable installer to use the new version.

But the older ones have no detections of MS Store-downloaded builds.

I think I can deal with it by creating some symbolic links, so both launcher_profiles has a sync.

Select one of them, remove the rest, and execute these commands on Command Prompt(Administrator mode):

C:
cd %appdata%\.minecraft
mklink .\launcher_profiles.json .\launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json

^ Note that this is one of the examples if you selected launcher_profiles.json as source. If you selected launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json as a source, just swap .|launcher_profiles.json and .|launcher_profiles_microsoft_store.json and it should work.

WARNING: If you're using both launchers, you should not launch both because after using this method both launcher uses the same file that it'll crash one of them, or both. If you have no plan to use MS Store's build, just forget about it.