Having a really hard time making sense of the API

KRKWMSM

Maybe I'm blind, but the only "docs" I have found are these (MCForce ReadTheDocs).

Normally, when I think of an API documentation, what I have in mind is something that outlines the main classes and methods provided, and if I'm lucky, even a quick description of what they do.

I am new to modding Minecraft, but I find it odd that I have to go through YouTube tutorials to get examples on how to do pretty much anything, specially when I've gotten to using DataGenerators and most of them just write the JSONs by hand (I'd ask WHY, but the answer is lack of proper documentation, at least as far as I'm aware).

If such a documentation exists, I'd be very thankful to be pointed to it. Even better if it covers the 1.17 version of the API. 

P.S.: Is there something similar for the "net.minecraft" packages?

Edited by KRKWMSM
bad grammar

19 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Forge has some Javadocs, yes. But they are not hosted anywhere, you can look at them in your IDE (or run the javadoc tool yourself if you want the HTML output).

The other thing is that Minecraft is an obfuscated game. There is no documentation for its code. It is only recently that Mojang has started releasing the "official names", which are the class, field and method names. This is now used by Forge since 1.16.5 and so you will have at least the original class, field and method names in your IDE for Minecraft's code. Then there is the Parchment project, which is sortof a successor to the previously used crowdsourced MCP names, and provides parameter names and javadocs (community contributed) for Minecraft's code. Again this is visible in your IDE when you set up a modding project, it is not hosted online (this time for copyright reasons). See here: https://github.com/ParchmentMC/Parchment.

I'll check out Parchment. This is basically what I'd select as the "mappings" in the "gradle.build" I assume. Thanks.