Issue with capability

matthew123

This is my capability provider.

public class MyCapabilityProvider implements ICapabilitySerializable<INBT> {
    @CapabilityInject(IMyCapability.class)
    public static Capability<IMyCapability> My_CAPABILITY = null;

private final LazyOptional<IMyCapability> lazyOptional = LazyOptional.of(MyCapability::new);

@Nonnull
    @Override
    public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(@Nonnull Capability<T> capability, @Nullable Direction side) {
        if (capability == My_CAPABILITY) {
            return lazyOptional.cast();
        }
        return LazyOptional.empty();
    }

@Override
    public INBT serializeNBT() {
        return My_CAPABILITY.getStorage().writeNBT(My_CAPABILITY, lazyOptional.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional must not be empty!")), null);
    }

@Override
    public void deserializeNBT(INBT nbt) {
        My_CAPABILITY.getStorage().readNBT(My_CAPABILITY, lazyOptional.orElseThrow(() -> new IllegalArgumentException("LazyOptional must not be empty!")), null, nbt);
    }
}

The issue is that the values written to the disk are the default values for my capability data. I added some logging to the storage class, and this confirms it.

Why is that happening? 

3 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Show where you are changing the values.

I am actually changing it in many places. My interface accesses the capability on the player to draw it.

This is where it gets updated on the server:

public static void handlePacket(ClientSyncOverlayMessage message, Supplier<NetworkEvent.Context> ctx) {
    LogManager.getLogger().info("Got sync overlay message! Selected: " + message.getSelectedTechnique().getId() + " nature: " + message.getSelectedTechnique().getNature());

ServerPlayerEntity playerEntity = ctx.get().getSender();
    playerEntity.getCapability(TechniqueCapabilityProvider.Technique_CAPABILITY).ifPresent(TechniqueCapability -> {

TechniqueCapability.setSelectedTechniqueFor(message.getSelectedTechnique().getNature(), message.getSelectedTechnique());
        LOGGER.info("Updated selected Technique to " + message.getSelectedTechnique().getId() + ", power level: " + message.getSelectedTechnique().getPower());
        LOGGER.info("PW after update: " + TechniqueCapability.getSelectedTechniqueFor(TechniqueCapability.getSelectedNatureOrDefault()).getPower());
    });
}

P.S i renamed the capability to TechniqueCapability in this example.

Edited by matthew123

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Examples are not useful, as the issue is with your code, not with some example.

Is this code executed? Does it do the correct thing?

The code above is used to synchronize the capability on the server. The correct values are printed out by the logger, but when I check the values with NBTExplorer, they are the default ones. Thus, when re-joining the singleplayer world, the capability has the default values.

17 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Show where you are changing the values.

private static int executeCommand(CommandContext<CommandSource> commandContext) throws CommandSyntaxException {
    Entity entity = commandContext.getSource().getEntity();
    TranslationTextComponent finalText = new TranslationTextComponent("chat.type.announcement",
            commandContext.getSource().getDisplayName(), new StringTextComponent("ok"));
    commandContext.getSource().getServer().getPlayerList().broadcastMessage(finalText, ChatType.CHAT, entity.getUUID());
        ServerPlayerEntity playerEntity =  commandContext.getSource().getPlayerOrException();
        playerEntity.getCapability(AbilityCapabilityProvider.Ability_CAPABILITY).ifPresent(AbilityData -> {
            AbilityData.addAbility(NatureTypes.A, new AbilityData(NatureTypes.A, "mymod:a", 0, 0, 1));
            AbilityData.addAbility(NatureTypes.A, new AbilityData(NatureTypes.A, "mymod:b", 0, 0, 1));
            AbilityData.addAbility(NatureTypes.B, new AbilityData(NatureTypes.B, "mymod:c", 0, 0, 1));
            AbilityData.addAbility(NatureTypes.B, new AbilityData(NatureTypes.B, "mymod:d", 0, 0, 1));
            AbilityData.addAbility(NatureTypes.D, new AbilityData(NatureTypes.D, "mymod:e", 0, 0, 1));
            AbilityData.addAbility(NatureTypes.E, new AbilityData(NatureTypes.E, "mymod:f", 0, 0, 1));
            ModNetwork.sendTo(new ServerSyncAbilityMessage(AbilityData), playerEntity);
            ModNetwork.sendTo(new ServerSyncPowerMessage(42, 42), playerEntity);
        });
    return 1;
}

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

From what I can tell it functions correctly.

Your NBT format is absolutely bizarre though:

• Why on earth is "Selected Nature" in the same compound tag as all the Jutsu data?
  • Why are you using spaces in the keys?
  • Why on earth did you decide that putting "[SELECTED] " in front of the key was a good way to mark an entry as selected instead of just... you know... a boolean?
  • Why on earth does JutsuData.serialize / deserialize use a random ad-hoc string format instead of, you know, serializing its values to a NBT compound tag?

I am not sure how to serialize all of it to NBT. When my data was only using integers, I used an integer array, but that is not possible now. Could you show me how? Also, do you have recommendations on the capability? I believe that my current approach is very messy.

An issue still persists. It appears as if the power level is the only thing that is not serializing. The selected nature AND selected jutsu seems to be synchronizing fine, but the power level does not, even though it is clearly updated:

NZRzgqo.png

4HZ03gL.png

nuwdyJ1.png

Jorum9U.png

The selected jutsu seems to work fine, as indicated by that bool and in-game testing. Thus, I added logging in the exact place the jutsu serializes it's power level:

vwA2AEK.png

And then after updating values:

xtQxUTg.png

What the hell is going on?! I am at a loss. Why is everything else working but that integer?