[Solved][1.17.1] Best way to overwrite the default cross bow render (ItemInHandRenderer and PlayerRender) ...

Kaworru

Hi,

I'm not new to forge modding, but new to client render with 1.17 and working on a mod which adds steel tools and weapons.

Currently I'm stuck with the crossbow item by using the default CrossbowItem with a different registration name and texture for a steel version, see:

https://github.com/MarkusBordihn/BOs-Steel-Armor-Tools-Weapons/blob/main/src/main/java/de/markusbordihn/steelarmortoolsweapons/item/ModItems.java#L56

My currently problem is that it seems that the ItemInHandRender and PlayerRender has a hard reference to Items.CROSSBOW, which mean that the render is not working for my steel crossbow version.

Normally I would somehow register a listener for the render event and replace it with a custom one as soon I detect my item in the hand.

But have not really an idea how to do this correct with the version 1.17.1.

I took a look at the original code but was not able to see how these render a register or how I could intercept the existing ones.

Would be thankful for any pointers in the right direction (e.g. registration / listener methods) or maybe a basic example how this works in general.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Kaworru
Solved

5 hours ago, Kaworru said:

My currently problem is that it seems that the ItemInHandRender and PlayerRender has a hard reference to Items.CROSSBOW, which mean that the render is not working for my steel crossbow version

The crossbow does not use a custom Renderer, it only use a few models. Did you looked at the vanilla models?

Sorry, but this is not correct. If you search for "Items.CROSSBOW" in the vanilla source code you will see some references in the ItemInHandRenderer.java and PlayerRenderer.java for the animation for e.g. which hand should be visible at which state.

The models works fine in the 3rd person view and the inventory slot, but not in the first person view which use the custom render mentioned above.

I will look at this, and try to find a solution for your problem 

Thanks for the feedback. But it seems there is not really an easy way for this, most of the code is hard-coded and could not be accessed directly. 😞

I worked around this by using the "RenderHandEvent" and "RenderPlayerEvent" to create a dedicated render for my crossbow item.

Edited by Kaworru

3 hours ago, Kaworru said:

Thanks for the feedback. But it seems there is not really an easy way for this, most of the code is hard-coded and could not be accessed directly. 😞

Unfortunately it looks like, that's only possible with mixin/core modding (which is not supported on this forum)

14 hours ago, Luis_ST said:

Unfortunately it looks like, that's only possible with mixin/core modding (which is not supported on this forum)

Yeah this is exactly the thing I want to avoid. I got so many false positive error reports with other mods which using mixin/core modifications.

But no worries, I got a working version and learned more about the render events.  

• Kaworru changed the title to [Solved][1.17.1] Best way to overwrite the default cross bow render (ItemInHandRenderer and PlayerRender) ...
  • 1 year later...