[1.16.5] Not sure about how to make a custom block using data generators

Radevirot

I've seen a tutorial in youtube which shows how to add custom blocks using blockbench. The issue is this tutorial does not use data generators and I want to do that, I've managed to get to a point where the model is correct but everything else isn't... The texture size that blockbench creates doesn't match the one that I code and I have no idea how to change that. Also, blockbench allows you to set up how that model will look in every situation (floor, hand in 1st person, etc), and this doesn't seem to be possible on code (at least I haven't found a way to do so).

I would appreciate an explaination on how to add custom blocks using data generators, and if this can be done with the help of blockbench or I should have a different approach. Thanks in advance and also sorry if this is a dumb question.