[1.16.5]Overriding vanilla Block doesn't work as expected

Cratthorax

Good Morning,

I tried overriding one of the vanilla rock blocks according to instructions in this old thread, but failed for the same reason the org TM did, even though I got a tiny bit farther than he did.

I can remove the original block entirely from world spawn, and replace it with custom version, which I want to prevent due to following up workload(adapting recipes etc. to custom block).

What I tried solving the issue/actually making replacing(partially) work:

1. I had to use the original Forge variant of registering the block in main class, like that:

which actually did use the custom granite block as replacer(not exactly illustrated in the old thread), but didn't consider it on world feature generation...

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(bus=Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)
    public static class RegistryEvents {

@SubscribeEvent
        public static void onBlocksRegistry(final RegistryEvent.Register<Block> blockRegEvt) {
            blockRegEvt.getRegistry().register(new BlockGranite(null).setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation("minecraft", "granite")));
        }

}

2. I then believed it was due to not using correct path variables for assets texture/models/blockstates etc., so I created missing asset packets for both, vanilla asset path, and my mod path. This also did not fix the issue with creating holes filled up with Items.AIR on world feature generation.

3. I then tried to remove the vanilla granite block during feature generation, and reimported it after with my replacement set up, during feature generation as well(according to @Luis_ST advice). But the holes were still there, only this time I got my replaced granite block spawned as well.

What do I want to achieve(asking myself and you in hope maybe there's a better solution)?

Mojang found it a good idea, to give one of the hardest rock materials on this planet, the .harvestLevel(soft as a pillow), so I can harvest it with a wooden pickaxes(which technically is even worth, but doesn't matter since wooden "pickaxe" tools do not exist in my mod). I really just want to compare harvestLevel of any of my tools, against the harvestLevel of the targetBlock, so I can automatically disallow harvesting it, if the tool doesn't match the harvestLevel(which for whatever reason does not work as intended in 1.16.5 Minecraft).

Edit: and before you shout "doPlayerHarvestCheck". Yes, I do that!

@SubscribeEvent
    public static void doPlayerHarvestCheck(PlayerEvent.HarvestCheck event) {

int toolLevel = itemRef.getHarvestLevel(heldItems, blockTool, playerRef, blockState);
    	int blockLevel = targetBlock.getHarvestLevel(blockState);

if((toolLevel < blockLevel) && (toolLevel >= 0)) {
                event.setCanHarvest(false);
                playerRef.sendStatusMessage(new TranslationTextComponent("This Material is to hard for your Tool!"), true);
            } else {
                event.setCanHarvest(true);
            }
        }
    }

Edit2: Also, why are there Manga Comic Girls, on the right upper corner of my Monitor, stating how can it be that big?(whatever "it" is?)

Edited by Cratthorax

2 hours ago, Cratthorax said:

3. I then tried to remove the vanilla granite block during feature generation, and reimported it after with my replacement set up, during feature generation as well(according to @Luis_ST advice). But the holes were still there, only this time I got my replaced granite block spawned as well.

What do I want to achieve(asking myself and you in hope maybe there's a better solution)?

show the code your use for this

2 hours ago, Cratthorax said:

Mojang found it a good idea, to give one of the hardest rock materials on this planet, the .harvestLevel(soft as a pillow), so I can harvest it with a wooden pickaxes(which technically is even worth, but doesn't matter since wooden "pickaxe" tools do not exist in my mod). I really just want to compare harvestLevel of any of my tools, against the harvestLevel of the targetBlock, so I can automatically disallow harvesting it, if the tool doesn't match the harvestLevel(which for whatever reason does not work as intended in 1.16.5 Minecraft).

Edit: and before you shout "doPlayerHarvestCheck". Yes, I do that!

is the Event called?, use debugger to check the values in the condition

• Like 1

The final solution was to learn how to register and use a loot serializer, like this:

@SubscribeEvent
        public static void onModifierSerializersRegistry(final RegistryEvent.Register<GlobalLootModifierSerializer<?>> evt) {
            evt.getRegistry().register(new RelEqtLootModifier.Serializer().setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation(MODID, "stone_replace")));
        }   

...and then extend on LootModifier like this:

public class RelEqtLootModifier extends LootModifier {

private final int numDropsToConvert;
    private final Item itemToCheck;
    private final Item itemReward;

public RelEqtLootModifier(ILootCondition[] conditionsIn, int numDrops, Item itemCheck, Item reward) {
        super(conditionsIn);
        numDropsToConvert = numDrops;
        itemToCheck = itemCheck;
        itemReward = reward;
    }
	    @Nonnull
    @Override
    public List<ItemStack> doApply(List<ItemStack> generatedLoot, LootContext context) {
	        int numDrops = 0;
        for (ItemStack stack : generatedLoot) {
            if (stack.getItem() == itemToCheck)
                numDrops += stack.getCount();
        }
        if (numDrops >= numDropsToConvert) {
            generatedLoot.removeIf(x -> x.getItem() == itemToCheck);
            generatedLoot.add(new ItemStack(itemReward, (numDrops / numDropsToConvert)));
            numDrops = numDrops % numDropsToConvert;
            if (numDrops > 0)
                generatedLoot.add(new ItemStack(itemToCheck, numDrops));
        }
        return generatedLoot;
    }
	    public static class Serializer extends GlobalLootModifierSerializer<RelEqtLootModifier> {
	        @Override
        public RelEqtLootModifier read(ResourceLocation name, JsonObject object, ILootCondition[] conditionsIn) {
            int numDrops = JSONUtils.getInt(object, "numDrops");
            Item drop = ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.getValue(new ResourceLocation((JSONUtils.getString(object, "dropItem"))));
            Item stone = ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.getValue(new ResourceLocation(JSONUtils.getString(object, "replacement")));
            return new RelEqtLootModifier(conditionsIn, numDrops, drop, stone);
        }
	        @Override
        public JsonObject write(RelEqtLootModifier instance) {
            JsonObject json = makeConditions(instance.conditions);
            json.addProperty("numDrops", instance.numDropsToConvert);
            json.addProperty("dropItem", ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.getKey(instance.itemToCheck).toString());
            json.addProperty("replacement", ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.getKey(instance.itemReward).toString());
            return json;
        }
    }
}

The registration happens on the Mod bus(not Forge bus), in your main class's RegistryEvents.

I still can't get over the inconvenience, how cryptic the Forge Docs uses to be though.

Edited by Cratthorax