Issues getting Forge Reinstalled after long time away from Minecraft.

TankHUnt3r

Okay, So I spent a long time away from Minecraft (3+ years at this point), but got the itch to play again. I wanted to play modded, and while I had forge installed, I wanted to see if any of the mods I had before had gotten updated to newer versions (I was running mods for 1.12.2, which was outdated back when I was playing) and found that Tinkers construct, which is a mod I must have, had a beta for a 1.16.5 version I wanted to try out. I found a few other mods on that version that looked cool and downloaded the 1.16.5 installer.

Originally, I was just going to play 1.12.2 version, as I had deleted the forge profile that previously existed as I wanted a clean install. I have changed computers in the time I was away but transferred all my files over. But when I tried to run the installer for forge, the window opens for about half a second before closing again, with no indication of actually running. no new profile on the launcher, no anti virus warning saying it blocked anything, nothing I can find. I went looking for solutions.

I got the latest version of Java and installed it. restarted the computer. Still not launching the installer. same half second command prompt window that does nothing. went looking for other methods and found that 1.12.2 is no longer supported anymore by this forum, and everyone says to never manually install forge.

So, I gave up on running 1.12.2, seeing as apparently everyone has given up on it. Found 1.12.5 version of Tinkers Construct beta, decided to try that out. So, downloaded installer for 1.16.5.

Same exact problem of opening for half a second then disappearing while apparently doing nothing.

when runing the Java version command I get this:

java version "11.0.10" 2021-01-19 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.10+8-LTS-162)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.10+8-LTS-162, mixed mode)

Jarfix is not recognized when I type the command in

'Jarfix' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I am not all that tech or program savvy, so if you have solutions I haven't tried yet, please actually explain them instead of saying 'run this' or 'do that'. I have noticed that there might be a problem with the Microsoft launcher that is causing the issues, but I don't know enough about programing to say that is the case or not. If that is the case, I will follow the instructions as best I can for fixes in that regard, but that also seems to imply actually having a working install to get it fixed. I can't even get it installed.

I am using the old Mojang launcher and using a Mojang account if that has any bearing on fix possibility.

Update: I migrated my Mojang account to see if it had any baring and tried 1.17.1 installer, same exact issue.

Edited by TankHUnt3r
update to attempted fixes

Try running the installer through console:

"java -jar forge-installer-name-i-dont-know-how-you-named-the-file.jar"

This should output an error message, post it here

Sorry if my Posts are weird sometimes, I just try to help and learn as much as I can :D

Also: PLEASE use SPOILERS for logs!

This is what I got as an error... and I have no idea WHY that is what is going on.

Error: Unable to access jarfile forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar

No Idea what could be stopping from accessing the file, as I said I'm not all that computer literate when it comes to problem solving.

Okay... First off. Every install guide I have found says you just run the Jar file. They say nothing about putting it into a particular folder.

Two, I was asked to provide the error. I did.

Three, here is what I put into the Command Prompt box

java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar

And what I got, Again.

You simply ask for more details, yet I clearly explained I am not the most tech literate. What details are you looking for? I have listed what I have already tried, I followed what another person asked me to do and posted the error as asked, only for someone else to show up and ask for more details without even specifying WHAT they are looking for.

If you are going to ask for more details, PLEASE SAY WHAT THEY ARE!! just asking for more details is like asking someone to explain. just explain. with no indicator of WHAT to explain.

Do you want computer specs? file sizes? install paths? I can't just provide details if I don't know what you are looking for.

Edited by TankHUnt3r

33 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Correct, which is normally what you do. But clearly something is not working right on your end, so we need to debug things.

Yes, I know this. its not like I haven't been looking through forums and finally gave up and asked for help, laying out everything I have tried for people to attempt to help me. the issue is, people are saying things and then not explaining.

35 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

How did you open the command line? Are you in the correct folder?

How else am I supposed to do a command line? I typed command into my search bar in the tool bar at the bottom of my screen for windows, opened the command prompt window, then preceded to use the recommended command line. I thought that was clear.

Also, you keep saying folder like that clears things up. What Folder Specifically? This is why I asked for more details from you about what details you wanted!?!?! I've been trying to fix this issue on my own for almost a week now, I'm frustrated. I need more info than 'folder'.

47 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

I ... did?

No, you said 'folder'. 

currently, if this is what you are trying to get at because I have no clue because you aren't being specific, the Jar files for the installers I have attempted are sitting on my desktop. if that is not the correct 'folder', then PLEASE SAY which one it is and not ASSUME I know what you are referring to. Are you referring to the install folder for Minecraft? and unzipped folder version of the jar files? Some folder I was supposed to create but didn't because no install method or fix I have found has stated anything like that?

I'm honestly not trying to be abrasive and shitty to you right now... but I'm frustrated beyond belief at something that should be simple not being simple at all, and getting more frustrated when I finally turn to others for  help and only get 'are you in the correct folder' when nowhere has it been stated that I can find says it has to be in any folder to work. I followed the original install instructions, which said download and run. no mention of any folder.

Also, just in case there is a miscommunication somehow here, I am trying to get forge installed, not a mod, Forge.

How to navigate to the file:

Open the command prompt and type the name of the drive the file is in. If the file is in C:/Users/yourUser/desktop execute "c:" in the command prompt. If the file is in D:/ThisIsAFolder execute "d:" etc.

Now navigate to the file. Type cd and the path. Example: "cd C:/this/is/the/path/to/the/installer"

Now you can run "java -jar installerName.jar"

I hope this helps :D

Edited by OutCraft
Better explanation

Sorry if my Posts are weird sometimes, I just try to help and learn as much as I can :D

I thank you OutCraft for actually explaining, but now I'm getting an error saying it can't find the file path. I moved it into the C:\Users\Desktop folder from my desktop screen, because for some reason it wasn't in that file. Then I moved it back to my desktop screen, because apparently that is a different file all together, and tried that file path and got the same issue. I then just used the same thing I did before, because at least that one acknowledged the existence of the file to begin with.

C:\Users\jsphb>cd C:\Users\jsphb\Desktop\java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\jsphb>cd Desktop\java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar

C:\Users\jsphb>java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar

I am not programing literate, as I said before, so I tried doing the command with a space instead of the backslash to see if that worked, and it didn't as shown here:

C:\Users\jsphb>cd C:\Users\jsphb\Desktop java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar

Hopefully you can point out what I am doing wrong here.

Now, diesieben07.

Had you said you were referring to where the installer had been placed, instead of saying 'are you in the correct folder?' and then repeating that statement when I asked for clarification, I likely would not have been condescending. I have stated I'm not programing literate, so you are going to have to give more details in explanation than you seem to think you need to here.

As I said before in my original post, when I double click the installer file on my desktop, it opens a window for about half a second, which then closes with no indication of anything having happened. I have already tried updating/removing/replacing Java, as I stated when I said I updated to the latest Java, or at least I assumed that was implied. 

14 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

which for some reason you tried to just type into the command line. Nobody told you to do this.

No, I was not trying to run jarfix, I have not used Jarfix before. I was doing as OutCraft asked me to, which was to try and run the installer using command prompt and then post the error generated, which I did. I realize you are part of the team here, but OutCraft responded first, so I was going to try his method first and see if his method helped. Your reply made no sense to me, mostly because you just spat out a single sentence and had no explanation behind it, so I placed it on the back burner until I could get more information as to what you were trying to ask was.

I do thank you for also explaining how I'm supposed to run the command, but as I said in my response to OutCraft above, now its staying it can't find the path. I have no idea what I did wrong if that is the case or if this is a different problem all together.

I am going to try the jarfix thing now, see if that works while I wait for OutCraft to respond.

Edit: I ran jarfix, and its now executing properly.

I do apologize if I offended people earlier, but saying things with little to no explanation and expecting answers when I have stated I am not the most programing literate is frustrating and why I try to not look for help online anymore. I realize its simple to you, but its not for other people who don't have the experience you do. I realize I was an ass at one point, but I was also beyond frustrated and only made more so with vague (to me) questions from someone who was supposed to be helping. I realize you were trying to help diesieben07, but try to have more in-depth explanation of what you are asking please? Not everyone has your level of experience with technology and programing.

Edited by TankHUnt3r
Solution found

6 hours ago, TankHUnt3r said:

C:\Users\jsphb>cd C:\Users\jsphb\Desktop\java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar

First you need to run "cd C:\Users\jsphb\Desktop\". Then you can run "java -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.20-installer.jar". Sorry for the bad explanation at this point, I just wanted to use another word for running because else the text sounds unnormal. I hope it works :)

Edit:

6 hours ago, TankHUnt3r said:

Edit: I ran jarfix, and its now executing properly.

Oh, I saw that too late xD

But one thing:

If you want to program mods or anything other with java, you need to know these three commands. You don't need to learn them, there are quite easy, but don't forget them:

<drive>: <- Changing the Drive you're in
cd <path> <- Changing the Path
java -jar <file with .jar at the end>: <- Running a jar file manually that is in the selected path

Just don't forget them, these three are the most important commands (and I think the only ones) you need for programming java

Edited by OutCraft