1.17.1 - Obtaining translation keys of a tooltip?

SpectralGerbil

Hello, I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm removing armor tooltips from armor for a custom defense system that's nearly finished.

I am using ItemTooltipEvent to obtain each tooltip and check if it contains the +X Armor tooltip, and then remove that tooltip. It works however I would like to make it work across languages. (Searching for the phrase "Armor" will not work in other languages). After some research I've found I need to obtain the translation keys for parts of these tooltips, and I can then iterate them and remove tooltips that contain the translation key "attribute.name.generic.armor". However I'm digging through 1.17 documentation and cannot find a way to obtain translation keys from the tooltips. I believe I could convert the Components retrieved from the tooltips into TranslatableComponents, but cannot find a method that does this.

Could someone with the proper knowledge tell me how I can achieve this?

Edit: For some context, yes I plan on updating to 1.18.1 soon but would like to figure this out first.

Edited by SpectralGerbil
context on 1.17

The issue I'm experiencing there is that when I attempt to cast most TextComponents to a TranslatableComponent, the game crashes saying it cannot. I fixed this by running an instanceof check, but that is only returning a few translation keys, none of which are what I need. Most look like this:

item.modifiers.chest 
attribute.modifier.plus.0 
item.modifiers.mainhand 
attribute.modifier.take.0

When I tested using regular components, I saw names of every single item which verified that was working, however in this instance I am only seeing the strings listed above and no item ids, block ids, or "attribute.name.generic.armor" as I need.

I feel I may be doing something completely wrong. I'll post an excerpt of my code below from inside my ItemTooltipEvent listener (apologies for the messy variable names during testing)

List<Component> tooltip = event.getToolTip();

int size = tooltip.size();
		int i = 0;

while (i < size) {
			Component ttcomp = tooltip.get(i);
			if (ttcomp instanceof TranslatableComponent) {
			TranslatableComponent trancomp = (TranslatableComponent) ttcomp;
			String ttkey = trancomp.getKey();
			if (ttkey.contains("attribute.name.generic.armor")) {
				event.getToolTip().remove(i);
				size -= 1;
				i -= 1;
			}
			}
			i += 1;
		}

Just to outline, the purpose of the code is to search / iterate incoming tooltips for the "attribute.name.generic.armor" key and then remove those lines from the tooltip.

Hello again. Things seem to be working great so far now, thanks to your help; I've been able to dig into the arguments and found the "generic.armor" attribute tooltips. However, how do I remove them from the TranslatableComponent arguments? There isn't a method to edit the arguments.

Alternatively, if I need to redefine my own TranslatableComponent to replace the old one, how can I do so properly, passing the right amount of arguments and such?

Edited by SpectralGerbil
made a question clearer

Sorry, but I'm a little confused on which component you're referring to as the parent. Do you mean the one a level above the attribute I want to remove, or are you saying I should remove the entire tooltip processed in the event? Is there a particular method to going about doing that?

Also, how would I view the full translation structure? I'm not familiar with doing so.

It does! Thank you! I've figured out what I'm supposed to do now with the components. I just have one more question on how to finish up.

After running all my checks, how can I modify the resulting tooltip to apply my changes? I can't see an event.setTooltip method or anything of that nature. I have the finished, edited tooltip that I need, but how do I apply it over the one the event gives me?