Minecraft Server Questions

tomothyburns

I would like to setup a Minecraft server for my family, relatives and friends to play on together. But I have several questions on this.

So there is a Bedrock version and a Java version. The devices owned by the people who will play on this server are: 3 x Nintendo Switch, 1 x iPad and 3 x Macbooks. Is it possible for us to play on the same server? can you copy and paste into a minecraft book Seems like you can only play on newer Macbooks? (Those I have are a few years old and not using M1).

I already have a regular webhosting shared account for some websites I run, so I can setup the Minecraft server on this, or does it need a dedicated server to only run Minecraft?

If a dedicated server is needed, where would you recommend to rent this for a game of only about 10 people?

Would greatly appreciate any insights on this.

Edited by tomothyburns

You can use Geyser to be able to play with bedrock players. You can google it. It is pretty stable but some stuff might be broken / not working as intended. If you want people from outside your network to join, you would need an host. You could also host it yourself and use a VPN as a way for your outside friends to join without having to share your ip. If you choose to host it yourself, people can only join when your computer runs the server.

Edited by diesieben07
remove VPN ad

• 5 weeks later...

Forge doesn't provide any cross-platform functionality, sadly, but... From what I understood when researching this in the recent past, there's one piece of software that makes crossplay possible, named Geyser.
However, this wouldn't allow much more than a Vanilla server to be hosted, since any client-sided mod-requirements exclude Bedrock players from joining.

Besides, I have no clue whether or not the software's actually any good. All I know is that it wasn't a "first-hit-google-result", but other than it being hard to find, it seemed legit.
(so I know nothing about stability/reliability)

... aaaand I now see Maxx_Qc already posted basically the same thing, just differently 😛

Also, I'm not clicking random links and Googling Techupnew Minecraft gave a bunch of sketchy results, so I wouldn't put my faith in that, personally.

Due to the stick up a moderators' ****, I hereby immediately discontinue my attempted involvement within this community.
If you believe handing out infractions is better than kindly pointing someone in the right direction and giving them a chance to improve their ways, you're simply wrong and I want nothing to do with you, your development, nor your community.

Hope y'all enjoyed my short-lived presence, ciao!