Learning Java

s4x0r

Hello. I hope I'm not being a bother by asking this. I would love to get into modding, but I am not proficient enough in Java to start. I would like to know how the modding community learned Java.

I've tried online tutorials, but I cannot seem to find one for me. The official documentation seems like too much to take in that I forget it soon afterwards,and the video tutorials that I've found seem to go too slow for me. Maybe I'm a little ADD, but it's hard for me to learn from reading off of a screen.

So if you are self-taught, I would like to know what methods you have used to learn. I do hope that I'm posting this in the right place, and I apologize if this question as already been asked by a million other people.

Thank you for your time.

Well, I'm sure it won't be received too unwell. Unlike some, you're not asking others to hold your hand through the modding process. You're just asking if people can point you in the right direction to begin.

This is actually something I'm interested in also. If I can self-teach, it'd be great. I'm really anxious to get into modding myself. I can only do the most basic of ModLoader things with very limited understanding. Copy-paste modding as people put it. Which is why I haven't bothered to make a thread here. I don't want my hand being held, nor do I expect anyone to. I want to learn. Even if the only way is the ways I find most difficult. :P

Either way, I plan on taking some java classes at my college if possible. I've always wanted to program, and Minecraft, its modding community, and Forge itself have all inspired me to take up java for modding in my free time.

Anyways, a few tips I can give are to try some simple study habits, such as taking notes that easily jog your memory, being concise where you deem necessary, and detailed at others. You'd also be surprised how well Flash cards work for terminology. Or you could try printing documentation and highlighting bits you feel most important. All of it's important of course, but you won't need to get into the heavy details of things every time. This helped me get by in my Visual Basic class.

As for Java, I'm learning some of the basics from this place, and reading up on it in more detail here at the moment. If anyone else has any other suggestions as to where one can learn, I'm also quite interested to hear them. :)

Check out my

Texture Packs Thread here on the Forge Forum. :)

Currently in the process of adding some mod support for JohnSmith Texture Pack.

width=105 height=12https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_21351[/img]

width=209 height=19https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_772852[/img]

I checked out headfirst java from the library. It was easy to learn with the aid of this book.

I'm definitely gonna give that a shot! Thank you much. :)

Check out my

Texture Packs Thread here on the Forge Forum. :)

Currently in the process of adding some mod support for JohnSmith Texture Pack.

width=105 height=12https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_21351[/img]

width=209 height=19https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_772852[/img]

I was taught in college, was doing a programming for business application course. Can't point you to any great online tutorials. But this was the order we learnt our basic stuff in. I always found it a good progression.

If statements

If else

If else if

Switch

While

Do while

For

That's alot of your basic logic there. The crux of alot of your mechanics and the like. Hope it helps =3

I checked out headfirst java from the library. It was easy to learn with the aid of this book.

I'm definitely gonna give that a shot! Thank you much. :)

There are some pretty good jokes in the book. Like the one about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and threading.

So, what would happen if I did push that shiny red button over there? ... Really? ... Can I try it? ... Damn.

Hmmm... I think I shall also take advantage of some of these resources to see if I can't figure this stuff out.

Thanks for the links

You're welcome! :D

So, what would happen if I did push that shiny red button over there? ... Really? ... Can I try it? ... Damn.

I was taught in college, was doing a programming for business application course. Can't point you to any great online tutorials. But this was the order we learnt our basic stuff in. I always found it a good progression.

If statements

If else

If else if

Switch

While

Do while

For

That's alot of your basic logic there. The crux of alot of your mechanics and the like. Hope it helps =3

You forgot Try Catch and Try Catch Finally. :P

google  thenewboston java tutorials there fast enough to not get bored and simple enough for you to retain the info.

Not for you if you don't like eclipse.

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=31

did it for you xD.

just use netbeans if thats the case -.- if you guys are wanting to learn with thenewboston, take each episode slowly and experiment with the ideas he gives you.

• 1 month later...

i learned java with head first java too well in germany its called "Java von Kopf bis Fuss" but its just the Translation

"not to scare azanor more , but he's a programmer, which is like the child of an orgy between math, logic, writing, and black magic . without any one of those it just doesn't work" etopsirhc

• 3 weeks later...

I've personally used online resources the past few days, as well as browsed here to see how people had solved their problems, as more often than not they go through a step by step thought process in posts that can help you.

I think another important thing I've found useful is to look at and play with the code itself between learning.  Try to make some simple mods and set yourself a goal to achieve with each session.

• 4 months later...