Questions About Death Causes

AdamIzAmazin

The mod I am making requires it to be able to detect if a player was killed by another player, and if so, who. I've been all over EntityLivingBase, DamageSource, and a few others. Maybe I'm looking straight at what I need to be looking at, or maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Either way, I would greatly appreciate if someone could help solve my issue. Thank you.

-Adam

Have a look at net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingDeathEvent, and net.minecraft.util.EntityDamageSource. On a LivingDeathEvent, you could check if the entity is an instance of EntityPlayer, and if the DamageSource is of the type in DamageSource.causePlayerDamage

I hope that this helped.

I tried what I could with the information given, but I was still only able to detect that the player had died, not that the player had died to another player which is something I had been able to do before. I think you sent me on the right track though. I think that, like you said, Inside LivingDeathEntity, if I could see if the entity that caused my death was another player besides me than that would work, but I am still learning so it would be very much appreciated if you could go a bit ,more in depth as to how to do this. Still not sure how to detect the name  of the killer so if you have any ideas on that you would make me a very happy person! Thanks for being the only one that tried to help!

-Adam

Another thing, last night I found attackingPlayer in EntityLivingBase and I tried doing a test to see if that did what I wanted it to. Since I do almost all of my tests in the chat bow (I find that way the easiest), I did likewise with this. All I did was put this into EntityClientPlayerMP:

if (par1Str.equals("player"))
    	{
    		mc.thePlayer.addChatMessage(EntityLivingBase.attackingPlayer);
                return;
    	}

This gave me an error with two quick fixes, either to make attackingPlayer static or create getters and setters for it. At first I chose static, but in multiplayer (and singleplayer, duh) whenever I would type "player" it would only output "null" whether I hit, got hit, or did nothing. I assumed this was because of me making attackingPlayer static since I've had similar problems making things like that static. So I looked up getters and setters and then created this right below attackingPlayer:

public EntityPlayer getAttackingPlayer()
    {
    	return this.attackingPlayer;
    }

However, this still required me to make both of them static which I decided got me nowhere. I have no idea if I'm even close to the answer for this one, and even when I do solve it, it still wont solve the whole issue of detecting if the player died to another player; it just gets me closer. Thank you for not getting annoyed with my pestering!

-Adam

Well I thought I found something, in EntityLivingBase I found:

if (entity instanceof EntityPlayer)
                    {
                        this.recentlyHit = 100;
                        this.attackingPlayer = (EntityPlayer)entity;
                    }

I thought that this might be triggered (and maybe it is) when a you die to a player, so I changed it to this:

if (entity instanceof EntityPlayer)
                    {
                        this.recentlyHit = 100;
                        this.attackingPlayer = (EntityPlayer)entity;
                        VengenceMode.wasPlayer = true;  
                    }

Did my chat tests, is still always false. :/ This seems like it HAS to be the spot. Especially since it says this.attackingPlayer = (EntityPlayer)entity; Can anyone confirm that this is the correct location, and if so, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

This gave me an error with two quick fixes, either to make attackingPlayer static or create getters and setters for it.

Sorry, but this sounds like another 'learn Java before you're going to mod' case. Or at least learn the basics (so you can advance whilst modding). And knowing (and recognizing) the difference between object and static references is essential to this basics.

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

This gave me an error with two quick fixes, either to make attackingPlayer static or create getters and setters for it.

Sorry, but this sounds like another 'learn Java before you're going to mod' case. Or at least learn the basics (so you can advance whilst modding). And knowing (and recognizing) the difference between object and static references is essential to this basics.

Okay, I guess I do have a bit of reading to do. I was hoping that I could just play it by ear. Oh well, thanks anyways.

-Adam