[1.16.5] Send string data to client

J3ramy

Hello,

I am trying to send a string name (which is stored in NBT data in my tile entity) to the client screen, but I don't know where/how I should call the send network package and how to get it in the screen class.

My Packet class:

Spoiler
public class PacketSendName {
    private final String name;

public PacketSendName(PacketBuffer buf){
        this.name = buf.readString();
    }

public PacketSendName(String name){
        this.name = name;
    }

public void toBytes(PacketBuffer buf){
        buf.writeString(name);
    }

public void handle(Supplier<NetworkEvent.Context> ctx){
        ctx.get().enqueueWork(() ->{
            World world = Objects.requireNonNull(ctx.get().getSender()).world;

});

//...

ctx.get().setPacketHandled(true);
    }
}

I can access the name from the tile entity via tileEntity.getName()

In my screen class I just call this.container.getTileEntity().getName() to get the name.

Saving the name with nbt works fine. I just want to know how I can get the name from the tile entity

In my block class I called

Network.INSTANCE.send(new PacketSendName(tileEntity.getName()), Network.INSTANCE, NetworkDirection.PLAY_TO_CLIENT);

but it is an error because SimpleChannel is not compatible with NetworkManager. I don't know which variable I should pass instead. And I questioned as well: Would it make more sense to pass a position parameter, so it can get to the right player or screen?

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Maybe you can name an example where Mojangs is using it in that way ^^

Edited by J3ramy

1 hour ago, J3ramy said:

but it is an error because SimpleChannel is not compatible with NetworkManager.

which kind of error

1 hour ago, J3ramy said:

I don't know which variable I should pass instead.

what variables are you talking about and please show your Network class

1 hour ago, J3ramy said:

And I questioned as well: Would it make more sense to pass a position parameter, so it can get to the right player or screen?

on the client there is only one player which is able to have a Screen (LocalPlayer), you can get it from Minecraft.getInstance().player

Spoiler
1 hour ago, J3ramy said:
    public void handle(Supplier<NetworkEvent.Context> ctx){
        ctx.get().enqueueWork(() ->{
            World world = Objects.requireNonNull(ctx.get().getSender()).world;

});

//...

ctx.get().setPacketHandled(true);
    }

first of all there is no sender on the client,
you also should handle client actions in a separate class to avoid conflicts with client only classes

which kind of error

The error is "Simple Channel is not compatible with NetworkManager", so it means that the second parameter is the wrong type but I don't which variable I should pass instead of Network.INSTANCE:

Network.INSTANCE.send(new PacketSendName(tileEntity.getName()), Network.INSTANCE, NetworkDirection.PLAY_TO_CLIENT);

what variables are you talking about and please show your Network class

Spoiler
public class Network {
    public static SimpleChannel INSTANCE;
    private static int ID;

public static int getNextId(){
        return ID++;
    }

public static void registerMessages(){
        INSTANCE = NetworkRegistry.newSimpleChannel(new ResourceLocation(CoasterideMod.MOD_ID, "network"), () -> "1.0", s -> true, s -> true);

INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketBopTargetSpeed.class, PacketBopTargetSpeed::toBytes, PacketBopTargetSpeed::new, PacketBopTargetSpeed::handle);
        INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketBopChangePanelState.class, PacketBopChangePanelState::toBytes, PacketBopChangePanelState::new, PacketBopChangePanelState::handle);
        INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketBopButtonInteraction.class, PacketBopButtonInteraction::toBytes, PacketBopButtonInteraction::new, PacketBopButtonInteraction::handle);

INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketLopLiftSpeed.class, PacketLopLiftSpeed::toBytes, PacketLopLiftSpeed::new, PacketLopLiftSpeed::handle);
        INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketLopChangePanelState.class, PacketLopChangePanelState::toBytes, PacketLopChangePanelState::new, PacketLopChangePanelState::handle);
        INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketLopButtonInteraction.class, PacketLopButtonInteraction::toBytes, PacketLopButtonInteraction::new, PacketLopButtonInteraction::handle);

INSTANCE.registerMessage(getNextId(), PacketPlaySound.class, PacketPlaySound::toBytes, PacketPlaySound::new, PacketPlaySound::handle);
    }
}

Nice thanks.

I changed the line to

Network.INSTANCE.send(PacketDistributor.PLAYER.with(() -> (ServerPlayerEntity) player), new PacketSendName(tileEntity.getName()));

and it calls the handler method.

But how do I now pass this to the screen container class?

you can get the current Screen via:

Minecraft.getInstance().screen

you then need to check via instanceof if the Screen is an instance of your Screen,
then you can set the data via setters and then you be able to use it in the your Screen for rendering etc.