Shift-Clicking and Item Questions

calclavia

This is a simple question. How do I know if a player is shift clicking? For example I have this item that does something different when being shift-clicked. Also the block I will be shift-clicking on will be a tile entity. How can I prevent the GUI from opening when opening that specific block? Also, how do I "remember" information in an item? I have an item that is like a remote and it has a certain frequency set by the player. How would I store that information even when the player reconnects/quit game?

I haven't messed with keybinds, but to store permanent information for the item there are two things you can try:

1. Using metadata in the item and having it act based on the metadata values

2. Using NBTTagCompounds; enchantments are an example of how items do this (all enchantments are stored in tag compounds).

I accidentally the everything then NullPointerException.

I haven't messed with keybinds, but to store permanent information for the item there are two things you can try:

1. Using metadata in the item and having it act based on the metadata values

2. Using NBTTagCompounds; enchantments are an example of how items do this (all enchantments are stored in tag compounds).

Hmm I think I will be using NBTTag. It seems the more convienent. But now I have another problem. My item interacts with a tileentity. I want to make it so then when this specific item right clicks the tile entity, the GUI of the tile entity will not open. Just like the buildcraft wrench or redpower screwdriver in which it doesn't open the GUI machine when right clicking it.

In the portion of code that will open the GUI run a check against the player's currently equipped inventory item.

EntityPlayer.inventory (which is an instance of InventoryPlayer) will have methods for getting the currently equipped item.

I accidentally the everything then NullPointerException.

For note, this is not 'Shift' click, but rather 'Sneak' click (which is usually shift, and is what IC2 and RP2 and BC3 and so forth do to suppress the GUI) they just check if the player isSneaking first, if so then they return from the callback without launching the GUI.