I'm running Minecraft 1.5.2 and 1.6.2, not sure how to specify version to instal

Rahnza

Okay so I've searched for a long time and I'm not really finding any good information to solve this, so I'm posting here. I hope that's okay.

I'm in an awkward situation where I still play on a 1.5.2 server, but also want to play on a 1.6.2 server that requires Forge. I have no idea how Minecraft currently handles separate installs. My bin folder contains my 1.5.2 jar and if I just use the old launcher it works fine. To also use 1.6.2 I decided to download Magic Launcher and select 1.6.2 there. Both of these work, if I want to play 1.5.2 I use the old launcher, if I want to play 1.6.2 I use Magic Launcher.

The problem I'm running into right now is that I need to install Forge for my 1.6.2 jar (wherever that is) to try out a new server. If I run the Forge installer, it attempts to install the latest version of Forge to my 1.5.2 jar. I've tried to find the mysterious 1.6.2 jar that I must be running from somewhere, so that I can direct Forge to install there, but I'm having a hard time.

Thanks.

it doesnt install it into your 1.5.2 jar as the new installer uses the new launcher's format.

Also, we dont touch the jar at all anymore.

What you should do, is move to the new official Mojang launcher.

So:

Use new launcher

Run official 1.5.2 and 1.6.2 versions once each.

To mod 1.5.2: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=9695.0

To mod 1.6.2: Just use the installer.

You'll also wanna set the gameDir in the profiles so your mods folder dont conflict.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I'll check that out and respond when I get the ability to. The reason why I assumed the 1.6.2 Forge installer was altering my 1.5.2 jar was because after running the installer my 1.5.2 jar started crashing. On a completely unrelated note, this update has been incredibly annoying. I've gone from being very comfortable modding my game to not knowing what's going on with anything.