Item that uses durability of another item 1.6.2

Fruitsalid

I wanted to make a magic wand type item that when right clicked will fire some sort of projectile. But I would like it to decrease the durability of another item in my inventory. Like in gun mods when you shoot the gun, the clip durability decreases. How would I accomplish this? Also how do you put descriptions under items?

description is a method of Item that you need to override

called "addInfo" or something (just goto Item.java and search :P)

for the item durability, onItemUse check if the player has amunition or wtv and if he does just remove a certain quantity to make it decrease, also dont allow shooting if you dont have enough amo

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

i would use like "getItemInSlot" til i find the item i need, then decrease this particular itemStack damage

I believe he is looking for something like itemStackInstance.damageItem(); (probably NOT what it is).

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Lol, I guess it is then xD

For once logic actually worked O.o

AND it was in minecraft source (double) O.o

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

im only gonna print pseudocode

get the player inventory

for each item in the player inventory

check that this item is of type ammo

if it is them damage specificly this item

if you can damage it (it wasnt out of ammo) then cast the spell or wtv

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

Fruitsalid, has hydroflame fixed it for ya?

Is it all working as intended?

Well I'm using a method from the bow class for the charging effect and all that but I cut a few things out. I just can't figure out what to put in that else statment. I'm probably have a lot of other stuff thats also wrong in that but I guess you'll figure it out:

public void onPlayerStoppedUsing(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer, int par4)
{
	int j = this.getMaxItemUseDuration(par1ItemStack) - par4;

ArrowLooseEvent event = new ArrowLooseEvent(par3EntityPlayer, par1ItemStack, j);
	MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.post(event);
	if (event.isCanceled())
	{
		return;
	}
	j = event.charge;

boolean flag = par3EntityPlayer.capabilities.isCreativeMode || EnchantmentHelper.getEnchantmentLevel(Enchantment.infinity.effectId, par1ItemStack) > 0;

if (flag || par3EntityPlayer.inventory.hasItem(ModClass.ammo.itemID))
	{
		float f = (float)j / 10.0F;
		f = (f * f + f * 2.0F) / 3.0F;

if ((double)f < 0.1D)
		{
			return;
		}

if (f > 1.0F)
		{
			f = 1.0F;
		}

EntityMagicBall entitymagicball = new EntityMagicBall(par2World, par3EntityPlayer, f * 2.0F);

if (f == 1.0F)
		{
			entitymagicball .setIsCritical(true);
		}

par1ItemStack.damageItem(1, par3EntityPlayer);

if (flag)
		{
			entitymagicball.canBePickedUp = 2;
		}

else
		{

}

if (!par2World.isRemote)
		{
			par2World.spawnEntityInWorld(entitymagicball);
		}
	}
}

Hmm... I would advise NOT using the ArrowLooseEvent. I mean, it's in the name. ArrowLooseEvent (I am not trying to be mean or anything.)

If it was me, I would do this:

/**
 * called when the player releases the use item button. Args: itemstack, world, entityplayer, itemInUseCount
 */
public void onPlayerStoppedUsing(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer, int par4)
{
	int j = this.getMaxItemUseDuration(par1ItemStack) - par4;
	if (par3EntityPlayer.capabilities.isCreativeMode || par3EntityPlayer.inventory.hasItem(Item.arrow.itemID)) // this is the ammo that the wand uses
	{
		float f = (float)j / 20.0F;
		f = (f * f + f * 2.0F) / 3.0F;

if ((double)f < 0.1D)
		{
			return;
		}

if (f > 1.0F)
		{
			f = 1.0F;
		}

EntityMagicBall magicBall = new EntityMagicBall(par2World, par3EntityPlayer, f * 2.0F);

if (f == 1.0F)
		{
			magicBall.setIsCritical(true);
		}

if (par3EntityPlayer.capabilities.isCreativeMode)
		{
			magicBall.canBePickedUp = 2;
		}
		else
		{
			int inventorySize = par3EntityPlayer.inventory.getSizeInventory() + 5; // this is so we can cycle through the inventory to find the ammo. The reason 5 is added is because the inventory size for some reason does not count the crafting...  So you have to add five or else the for loop doesn't get all 44 slots covered. This is a simple way of doing it.
	ItemStack ammoStack;

for (int i = 0; i < inventorySize; ++i) {
		Slot slot = par3EntityPlayer.inventoryContainer.getSlot(i);
		if (slot.getHasStack())
			if (slot.getStack().itemID == Item.pickaxeDiamond.itemID) {
				ammoStack = slot.getStack();
				ammoStack.damageItem(200 /* This is the amount of damage you want to do to the item stack */, par3EntityPlayer);

}
	}
		}

if (!par2World.isRemote)
		{
			par2World.spawnEntityInWorld(magicBall);
		}
	}
}

I hope that helps a bit :)