[1.19] Stop sound

Zanckor

Yo, here again.

I'm creating a new VFX sounds so I need to manage to stop them.
They're working on ClientTickEvent cause I need to start them on press key, like, if player started pressing G, execute a 27s long sound, but I need a way to stop it if player stop pressing G.

Btw, that's not really necessary but I would like to know if there's any way to repeat sound on finish.

Tnks! 

SoundManager.stop()

SoundInstance.isLooping() - see SoundEngine.shouldLoopAutomatically() for the full logic.

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

1 hour ago, warjort said:

SoundManager.stop()

SoundInstance.isLooping() - see SoundEngine.shouldLoopAutomatically() for the full logic.

I cannot invoke them inside a event, cause it is static

Edited by Zanckor

Minecraft.getInstance().getSoundManager()

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

Okay, i gotcha, if anybody want to know:

I had my sounds registered as SoundEvent, so I've created a new class that extends "AbstractTickableSoundInstance", added a constructor and tick method (fn i do not need it) and then used:

SoundManager.play(new TransformShout(CustomSounds.TRANSFORM_SHOUT.get(), SoundSource.VOICE, RandomSource.create()));

You will need to do more than playing the sound from the key press, otherwise it will only work in single player. 🙂

You are going to need to tell the server to broadcast your shout/stop to other players.

Looking at ClientBoundSoundPacket - the normal way to do this from one of the ServerLevel.playSound() methods,

it does not have a parameter for looping so it looks like you will need your own custom packet handling for that as well?

And you do need the tick event.

Look at EntityBoundSoundInstance that has code so the sound moves with the entity/player.

• Like 1

Boilerplate:

Yo!

I've that code to start a sound:

TransformShoutInstance TransformShout = new TransformShoutInstance(CustomSounds.TRANSFORM_SHOUT.get(), SoundSource.VOICE, RandomSource.create());

if (keyEvents.counterTransforming > 0 && !(Minecraft.getInstance().getSoundManager().isActive(TransformShout))) { SoundManager.play(TransformShout); }

But is not working, I mean, on !isActive, if It's active it still return me true, any idea?

If I understand what you are saying correctly, your instance can never be active at that point, you just created it.

I don't see anything in the api that lets you check if a different instance with the same sound is playing. But it should be easy for you to keep track of this yourself?

Boilerplate:

1 hour ago, warjort said:

If I understand what you are saying correctly, your instance can never be active at that point, you just created it.

I don't see anything in the api that lets you check if a different instance with the same sound is playing. But it should be easy for you to keep track of this yourself?

Okay, my fail was when i construct it, now i only construct it on logged in, but, now my sound goes wrong when i play it on second time, like, it do not actually play it correctly, just a millisecond.

I figured why, but dont know how to fix it.

My problem is right here:

https://pastebin.com/HrhMiWwu

On stop, same if i try to stop it with SoundManager.stop(...)

No, you need a different instance each time you start a new sound.

What if there are 5 players shouting at the same time? That's 5 different instances.

You shouldn't be including gui code in that sound instance code. The sound instances could/will be for other players.

I think you need to step back and think/understand how this should be working in a multiplayer environment.

e.g. maybe you could have a shouting capability for players with its own network events to make it easier to model.

Boilerplate:

Then, I need to construct a new instance each time, but then how can I check if that instance isActive, I've asked on discord too, and diesieben07 told me that I need to track the instance, but idk how, or maybe is there any other way to do that?

Yes you need to store the instance somewhere. If you create new ones they are different shouts.

Think about if another player starts/stops shouting. They will send messages to the server which will send messages to your client.

You need to keep track of which players are linked to which sound instances to handle this properly.

As I said above, a player capability would be a good way to store this data.

WARNING: You would need to be careful that any server side code of the capability doesn't try to load the SoundInstance class, e.g. by wrapping the sound instance in a holder class that only gets used on the client.

• Like 1

Boilerplate: