Block overlay rendering (colour torch)

OwnAgePau

Hi there,

So lets explain what the idea was here as i was trying to find a good title, but this doesn't really give a full discription of what i mean. I had this idea of making a torch that renders the area not just with ligt, but it also overlays the blocks with a certain overlay (all sides of the blocks) in that area. I had this idea to make an overlay that is coloured but you can look through it (so the colour would be 5% opaque or something). But i am not sure where to start off when it comes to overlays. I know that the grass block uses overlays, but i am not sure how to make an overlay that will be rendered over any block.

Any tips or redirections to places where i should start off would be greatly appreciated!

~ OwnAgePau

If i understand this correctly, you want to make it look like the torch is emitting colored light. I don'tknow if this works exactly, but the way i will do it, that if you place the torch, it sets a radius of block without collission and a bounding box, that has a colored texture, that is (as you said) 5% opaque, and if you break the torch, you remove all of the blocks.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Yeah you understand me correctly and that's the idea you had (you discribed it a bit more detailed though, my first language isn't English so i am sorry if that didn't came out exactly) so yeah where should i start looking at? any ideas?

First you have to make a torch that emits normal light. Than you have to make the blocks without collision and bounding box, i don't know how to do that, maybe someone else does. Than you add the onBlockPlacedBy method to your torch class. In the onBlockPlacedBy method, you need to add some if statements to place the block, but not replace blocks that aren't air. Than add the breakBlock method to your torch class, and do the opposite of the onBlockPlacedBy method, to replace your colored blocks with air, but not the blocks that aren't your colored blocks. (Sorry if the spelling is exactly right, english isn't my first language either)

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

• 1 month later...

"Than you have to make the blocks without collision and bounding box, i don't know how to do that"

like an entity? it sounds like a laggy idea :(.

It would be nice for forge color, but first we'd have to rewrite the entire forge lighting system.

Communication is a vital tool, in the game industry you won't go anywhere without it. People are either going to learn to talk, or move on.

Hi

Actually you might not be aware that torches already emit coloured light?  It is slightly yellowish... http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com/2013/08/lighting.html has a bit more information.

There are a couple of ways I can think of that you might do this.  Might be worth a try, but no guarantees...

If you don't mind making all torches coloured (including the vanilla torch) you could overwrite the lightmap with your own values before the render.  I think there is a forge hook somewhere that is called immediately before rendering (forget what it is though).

Alternatively you could use the "coloured air block" idea- the simplest way might be TileEntities which is probably fine so long as you don't have too many of your coloured torches.  But you could also do it with a custom air block:

1) Collision and bounding box can be turned off by Block.canCollideCheck() or Block.getCollisionBoundingBoxFromPool

2) Write a custom renderer for your "coloured air block"- either render it in pass1 with a low opacity (render the internal faces not the external), or render the internal faces of the cube by copying the texture from the adjacent block and re-rendering it with a colour multiplier

The only problem is that some of these might look a bit strange next to non-cube blocks.

The BlockRedstoneWire has some similarities to what you're trying to do.

Good luck with it....

TGG