[Solved] Drawing a Texture on the Screen (as a Screen, not a HUD)

Jimmeh

Hi there. This used to work in 1.16.5, but now it's not working. I'm creating a ResourceLocation like so:

new ResourceLocation(Genesis.MOD_ID, "textures/gui/" + texture);

where my mod ID is "genesis" and "texture" is "inventory.png". When debugging this, the ResourceLocation outputs "genesis_textures_gui_inventory.png", so I'm not too sure where I'm going wrong here.

My resources folder can be found here (I tried attaching it, but it didn't like the Gyazo link): https://gyazo.com/089c354ee737f31d892c72335eddb024

It doesn't seem to be finding "inventory.png" correctly. Did the use of ResourceLocation change in-between these versions?

Thanks!

Edited by Jimmeh

The code you posted is the not the code getting used.

With the code you posted, you would get "genesis:textures/gui/inventory.png"

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

Maybe you have a class called ResourceLocation that is not the minecraft class?

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

9 hours ago, warjort said:

The code you posted is the not the code getting used.

With the code you posted, you would get "genesis:textures/gui/inventory.png"

I should've specified. I used ResourceLocation#toDebugFileName which does:

public String toDebugFileName() {
      return this.toString().replace('/', '_').replace(':', '_');
   }

So if just do the normal ResourceLocation#toString, the output is:

"genesis:textures/gui/inventory.png".

When I blit this to the screen, I'm doing it like so:

minecraft.textureManager.bindForSetup(new ResourceLocation(Genesis.MOD_ID, "textures/gui/inventory.png"));
poseStack.pushPose();
Gui.blit(pMatrixStack, pos.x(), pos.y(), 0, start.x(), start.y(), dimensions.x(), dimensions.y(), textureSize.y(), textureSize.x());
poseStack.popPose();

However, the result is this instead of my texture: https://gyazo.com/5628b1b1013d37e3f0fa8a476800856d

Edited by Jimmeh

10 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Use ForgeGui#setupOverlayRenderState to bind a texture inside a HUD overlay, do not use bindForSetup.

Since that is a non-static method, should I be extending ForgeIngameGui for my AbstractScreen class instead of extending the Forge Screen class?

What I'm drawing to the screen is a custom inventory texture, so it needs child widgets such as buttons and items to click. Based on what I see in the ForgeIngameGui and the Gui classes, ForgeIngameGui seems more for HUD overlays. Is that correct and I should stay with the Screen class?

Edited by Jimmeh

27 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Correct, if you want buttons and actual interactable elements you need a Screen. Since you have not provided any details I was guessing based on your provided screenshot.

In a screen use

RenderSystem.setShader(GameRenderer::getPositionTexShader);
RenderSystem.setShaderColor(1.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F);
RenderSystem.setShaderTexture(0, /* TEXTURE */);

Perfect, this worked. Thank you!

• Jimmeh changed the title to [Solved] Drawing a Texture on the Screen (as a Screen, not a HUD)