[1.18.2] Get TagKey object from string

XPModder

I am trying to perform some operations with all items with a certain tag.

At the moment I am doing this by iterating over all items with the tag using ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.tags().getTag().

This works, but I am passing in the specific tag directly.

Now I am in the process of moving some things into a config file. In the config file file I want to have a list of items or tags (aka the list will contain both items and tags). I have the list working with just items, but now I need to add the tags.

So the question is: How do I get a TagKey object that can be passed into the getTag() method mentioned above from its string representation?

So as an example I am reading "forge:logs" from the config and want to get ItemTags.LOGS. How can I do this?

Looking into it, I think I could do it by iterating over the output of ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.tags().getTagNames() and then somehow comparing those to the string, but I don't even see an easy way to do that. Also I would like to avoid iterating over a potentially large list, if there is a better way of doing it...

I have looked into the ITagManager and TagKey classes, but haven't found a solution.

var tagManager = ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.tags();
        var tagKey = tagManager.createTagKey(new ResourceLocation("minecraft:logs"));
        var tag = tagManager.getTag(tagKey);

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

7 hours ago, warjort said:
        var tagManager = ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.tags();
        var tagKey = tagManager.createTagKey(new ResourceLocation("minecraft:logs"));
        var tag = tagManager.getTag(tagKey);

Thank you!

That worked!

I had seen the createTagKey method before, but I thought it was there to create an entirely new tag.... I guess the method is simply named weird or I haven't fully understood some aspect of how these tags work in the background... I would have expected a method doing this to be named 'getTagKey' or 'getKey' or similar...

• 7 months later...

It's kind of a convoluted process unlike what was evidently available in 1.18.1. They really made a breaking change according to what Kaupenjoe demonstrated in a 1.18.1 tutorial.

I created something similar to what Kaupenjoe has here.

package com.badkraft.foundations.tags;

import com.badkraft.foundations.Foundations;
import net.minecraft.core.Registry;
import net.minecraft.resources.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.tags.BlockTags;
import net.minecraft.tags.ItemTags;
import net.minecraft.tags.TagKey;
import net.minecraft.world.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.world.level.block.Block;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.ForgeRegistries;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.tags.ITag;

public class ModTags {
    public static class Items {

public static final TagKey<Item> FLINT_TOOL_MATERIALS = bind("flint_tool_materials");
        public static final ITag<Item> STONE_ITEMS = createTag("stone");
        public static final ITag<Item> MASONRY_ITEMS = createTag("masonry");

private static ITag<Item> createTag(String name) {
            return ForgeRegistries.ITEMS.tags().getTag(tag(name));
        }
        private static TagKey<Item> tag(String name) {
            return ItemTags.create(new ResourceLocation(Foundations.MOD_ID, name));
        }
        private static TagKey<Item> forgeTag(String name) {
            return ItemTags.create(new ResourceLocation("forge", name));
        }
    }

private static TagKey<Item> bind(String name) {
        return TagKey.create(Registry.ITEM_REGISTRY, new ResourceLocation(name));
    }
}