Maximum allowable capability data size, and how concerned do I need to be about it?

JayZX535

Hey all,

This is another mostly theoretical question-- how much data can a capability be reasonably expected to store without getting overwhelmed and crashing (and more importantly, how does that practically correspond to the amount seen in items, entities, etc.).  I've seen cases where modpacks have experienced crashes due to players putting full storage containers in storage containers in storage containers, but even when the crash occurred, it seemed like it took a lot to get to that point.  If I want to create capabilities that can store the data for example of a storage container, or write the data of a bunch of entities to a capability, for example, at what point should I be concerned about storing too much data?  Or is it something that I likely don't need to worry about because it really only occurs when someone is storing many full chests' worth of items within a single inventory?

Thank you for your time, and have a great day.

See for example BlockItem.canFitInsideConstainerItem() or ShulkerBoxBlockEntity.canPlaceItemThroughFace() for how this recursion is stopped for shulker boxes.

There are a number of different "hidden" limits on saved/networked data. The most notable is java's DataOutput.writeUTF() limit of 65535 for a String (really half that since String characters can be 2 bytes).

You probably won't run into any of these of limits unless you are not being sensible.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

Oh!  I will take a look at those methods, thank you!

Do entities written as NBT using the built-in methods to write them to NBT tend to be particularly bulky?  That's my biggest concern here.  I'm hoping many of them won't be, but I'm especially worried about the sort that can actually have inventories.  I need to save the data for them, ideally a potentially large quantity without having to worry about overloading anything, into a capability, but if that's likely to get out of control quickly, I'll have to figure out how to cap it.

Why don't you experiment and find out?

Entity.save()

net.minecraft.nbt.NbtIo

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.