Custom Tree Not Growing, throwing "Trying to access unbound value" error 1.19.2

HumanHickory

I am attempting to add a tree into the world. All the tree parts are rendering, and are usable, and I can place the sapling but the sapling will not grow either with bone meal or naturally, which is what the bug is.

So first I register all the parts of the Cherry Tree. Those are all working, including the sapling. Here is an example of the sapling and a log. The log is a modded FlammableRotatedPillarBlock that sets the object to flammable = true, sets flammability to 5, sets fire spread speed to 5, and tells it what to do when it's clicked on with an axe (aka stripping the log). 

public static final RegistryObject<Block> CHERRY_LOG = register("cherry_log", () -> new ModFlammableRotatedPillarBlock(BlockBehaviour.Properties.copy(Blocks.OAK_LOG)
            .requiresCorrectToolForDrops()), CreativeModeTab.TAB_BUILDING_BLOCKS);   

public static final RegistryObject<Block> CHERRY_SAPLING = register("cherry_sapling", () -> new SaplingBlock(new CherryTreeGrower(), BlockBehaviour.Properties.copy(Blocks.OAK_SAPLING)),
            CreativeModeTab.TAB_MISC);

In another file, I register the cherry tree, and give it the various things a tree needs to grow. 

public class ModConfiguredFeatures {
    public static final DeferredRegister<ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> CONFIGURED_FEATURES = DeferredRegister.create(Registry.CONFIGURED_FEATURE_REGISTRY, HickoryGardenMod.MODID);

public static final RegistryObject<ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> CHERRY =
            CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register("cherry", () ->
                    new ConfiguredFeature<>(Feature.TREE, new TreeConfiguration.TreeConfigurationBuilder(
                            BlockStateProvider.simple(BlockInit.CHERRY_LOG.get()),
                            new StraightTrunkPlacer(5, 6, 3),
                            BlockStateProvider.simple(BlockInit.CHERRY_LEAVES.get()),
                            new BlobFoliagePlacer(ConstantInt.of(2), ConstantInt.of(0), 4),
                            new TwoLayersFeatureSize(1, 0, 2)).build()));
}

Then, I created a CherryTreeGrower class that extends AbstractTreeGrower, using that CHERRY object.

public class CherryTreeGrower extends AbstractTreeGrower {
    @Nullable
    @Override
    protected Holder<? extends ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> getConfiguredFeature(RandomSource pRandom, boolean pLargeHive) {
        return ModConfiguredFeatures.CHERRY.getHolder().get();
    }
}

The Error I get is 

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Trying to access unbound value 'ResourceKey[minecraft:worldgen/configured_feature / hickorygardenmod:cherry]' from registry Registry[ResourceKey[minecraft:root / minecraft:worldgen/configured_feature] (Stable)]

Other than the necessary json files and png files in the resources folder, I don't refer to the cherry tree components anywhere else. Thoughts?

Edited by HumanHickory
Added version

• HumanHickory changed the title to Custom Tree Not Growing, throwing "Trying to access unbound value" error 1.19.2

The error message says your configured feature isn't registered. Probably because you haven't called register(Bus) on your DeferrredRegister?

• Thanks 1

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

8 hours ago, warjort said:

The error message says your configured feature isn't registered. Probably because you haven't called register(Bus) on your DeferrredRegister?

Wow I feel dumb. Yes that was exactly what it was. I'm still new to Java and modding Minecraft so stupid mistakes are in my immediate future. Thank you so much for your help!!

Hello! I have the exact same problem, but I do not exactly understand what you mean by "calling register(Bus) on your DeferredRegister". Could you please tell me where I need to add that exactly? Much appreciated, thank you very much.

Edited by IAmNatan

19 minutes ago, IAmNatan said:

Hello! I have the exact same problem, but I do not exactly understand what you mean by "calling register(Bus) on your DeferredRegister". Could you please tell me where I need to add that exactly? Much appreciated, thank you very much.

DeferredRegisters need to be registered, if you look at the examplemod that comes with the MDK, it registers item and block deferred registers. I believe they do it in the mod class constructor.

Thank you, but I'm still having a little trouble understanding; so sorry, I am a complete beginner to java and I only started a week ago. Here is my code; how should I approach this?

package net.natan.natansrealmmod.world.feature;

import net.minecraft.util.valueproviders.ConstantInt;
import net.minecraft.world.level.block.state.BlockState;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.Feature;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.WeightedPlacedFeature;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.configurations.RandomFeatureConfiguration;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.configurations.TreeConfiguration;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.featuresize.TwoLayersFeatureSize;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.foliageplacers.BlobFoliagePlacer;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.stateproviders.BlockStateProvider;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.trunkplacers.StraightTrunkPlacer;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.RegistryObject;
import net.natan.natansrealmmod.NatansRealmMod;
import net.minecraft.core.Registry;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.ConfiguredFeature;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.IEventBus;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.DeferredRegister;
import net.natan.natansrealmmod.block.ModBlocks;

import java.util.List;

public static final DeferredRegister<ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> CONFIGURED_FEATURES =
            DeferredRegister.create(Registry.CONFIGURED_FEATURE_REGISTRY, NatansRealmMod.MOD_ID);

public static final RegistryObject<ConfiguredFeature<?,?>> BETWIXT =
            CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register("betwixt", () ->
                    new ConfiguredFeature<>(Feature.TREE, new TreeConfiguration.TreeConfigurationBuilder(
                            BlockStateProvider.simple(ModBlocks.BETWIXTLOG.get()),
                            BlockStateProvider.simple(ModBlocks.BETWIXTLEAVES.get()),

public static final RegistryObject<ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> BETWIXT_SPAWN =
            CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register("betwixt_spawn", () -> new ConfiguredFeature<>(Feature.RANDOM_SELECTOR,
                    new RandomFeatureConfiguration(List.of(new WeightedPlacedFeature(
                            ModPlacedFeatures.BETWIXT_CHECKED.getHolder().get(),
                            0.5F)), ModPlacedFeatures.BETWIXT_CHECKED.getHolder().get())));

public static void register(IEventBus eventBus) {
        CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register(eventBus);
    }
}

I know I'm probably being really stupid-

If you're a beginner with Java, you're going to have a really hard and probably bad time trying to mod Minecraft. My advice is to learn at least basic Java, then come back to this. Although to be honest, you should probably learn more than just basic Java, basic Java is not enough for some of the code used in Minecraft/Forge.

Did you look at the Examplemod that came with the MDK? It shows how to register a DeferredRegister, plus there's not a ton of code in it to weed through to find it, it's a single class.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2022 at 2:29 PM, IAmNatan said:

Thank you, but I'm still having a little trouble understanding; so sorry, I am a complete beginner to java and I only started a week ago. Here is my code; how should I approach this?

package net.natan.natansrealmmod.world.feature;

import net.minecraft.util.valueproviders.ConstantInt;
import net.minecraft.world.level.block.state.BlockState;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.Feature;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.WeightedPlacedFeature;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.configurations.RandomFeatureConfiguration;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.configurations.TreeConfiguration;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.featuresize.TwoLayersFeatureSize;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.foliageplacers.BlobFoliagePlacer;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.stateproviders.BlockStateProvider;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.trunkplacers.StraightTrunkPlacer;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.RegistryObject;
import net.natan.natansrealmmod.NatansRealmMod;
import net.minecraft.core.Registry;
import net.minecraft.world.level.levelgen.feature.ConfiguredFeature;
import net.minecraftforge.eventbus.api.IEventBus;
import net.minecraftforge.registries.DeferredRegister;
import net.natan.natansrealmmod.block.ModBlocks;

import java.util.List;

public static final DeferredRegister<ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> CONFIGURED_FEATURES =
            DeferredRegister.create(Registry.CONFIGURED_FEATURE_REGISTRY, NatansRealmMod.MOD_ID);

public static final RegistryObject<ConfiguredFeature<?,?>> BETWIXT =
            CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register("betwixt", () ->
                            BlockStateProvider.simple(ModBlocks.BETWIXTLOG.get()),
                            BlockStateProvider.simple(ModBlocks.BETWIXTLEAVES.get()),

public static final RegistryObject<ConfiguredFeature<?, ?>> BETWIXT_SPAWN =
            CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register("betwixt_spawn", () -> new ConfiguredFeature<>(Feature.RANDOM_SELECTOR,
                    new RandomFeatureConfiguration(List.of(new WeightedPlacedFeature(
                            ModPlacedFeatures.BETWIXT_CHECKED.getHolder().get(),
                            0.5F)), ModPlacedFeatures.BETWIXT_CHECKED.getHolder().get())));

public static void register(IEventBus eventBus) {
        CONFIGURED_FEATURES.register(eventBus);
    }
}

I know I'm probably being really stupid-

As I happen to know the context of this code, your problem probably lies within your CONFIGURED_FEATURES Registry. While you create it you probably never really register it. The method at the bottom takes care of that and in the official tutorial it is also called in the main class:

public TutorialMod() {
	IEventBus modEventBus = FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus();

//... Stuff
	ModConfiguredFeatures.register(modEventBus);
	//... More Stuff

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(this);
}

This called the "register()" Method in the ModConfiguredFeatures class.

I can't see your main class but you probably forgot to call it in your constructor