[1.19] Have custom command give player a written book?

LightningFlash

As the title says, I would like to have a custom command give the player a signed book with some filled pages. I have the book being given to the player, with a title and author; however, I am having issues with how to add the pages. When I try to add a page, all I get is red text saying "* Invalid book tag *". Below is the code I have so far:

ItemStack stack = new ItemStack(Items.WRITTEN_BOOK);
stack.setTag(new CompoundTag());
stack.getTag().putString("author", "AOT Command");
stack.getTag().putString("title", "Registry Out");
stack.getTag().putString("pages", "testing");

player.drop(stack, false, false);

• Like 1

"pages" is not a string, it is a ListTag (of StringTags)

See BookEditScreen.updateLocalCopy()

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

3 hours ago, warjort said:

"pages" is not a string, it is a ListTag (of StringTags)

See BookEditScreen.updateLocalCopy()

Ok, I followed the code from that class, and it does add text to the pages. However, it only adds the first string to each page.

My current code: 

// create the itemstack 
ItemStack stack = new ItemStack(Items.WRITTEN_BOOK);

// create the main NBT tag
stack.setTag(new CompoundTag());

// set the title and author
stack.getTag().putString("author", "AOT Command");
stack.getTag().putString("title", "Registry Out");

// list of pages
ListTag book_pages = new ListTag();
// list of strings (page text)
List<String> pages = Lists.newArrayList();

// fill the page strings with some basic text
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) pages.add("i = " + i);

// add the page string to the list tag
pages.stream().map(StringTag::valueOf).forEach(book_pages::add);

// add the list tag to the NBT to the itemstack
stack.addTagElement("pages",book_pages);

// drop finalized book to player
player.drop(stack, false, false);

The code I told you to look at isn't actually the complete code.

When the book gets to the server side it converts the Strings to Json, see ServerGamePacketListenerImpl.handleBookEdit()

It basically boils down to adding this additional code

pages.stream()
.map(page -> Component.Serializer.toJson(Component.literal(page))) // HERE string -> json conversion
.map(StringTag::valueOf).forEach(book_pages::add);

But you might want to look at some of the other things it in that class, e.g. signbook() and the profanity filter?

If you have other issues, use NBTUtils.prettyPrint() to show the (S)NBT of your book tag and compare it with what is created by vanilla.

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

4 hours ago, warjort said:
.map(page -> Component.Serializer.toJson(Component.literal(page))) // HERE string -> json conversion

Ok adding this does finally make it work. I now just have to add a loop that fits the strings to the max number of characters allowed per page, which should not be to hard. Thanks for the help.

• 6 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 11:58 PM, warjort said:

The code I told you to look at isn't actually the complete code.

When the book gets to the server side it converts the Strings to Json, see ServerGamePacketListenerImpl.handleBookEdit()

It basically boils down to adding this additional code

pages.stream()
.map(StringTag::valueOf).forEach(book_pages::add);

But you might want to look at some of the other things it in that class, e.g. signbook() and the profanity filter?

If you have other issues, use NBTUtils.prettyPrint() to show the (S)NBT of your book tag and compare it with what is created by vanilla. By the way, I can also give advice from me on one cool topic I found. I had to write a term paper on the humanities, I do not understand philosophy. That is why I was glad to find here www.essayshark.com  just wonderful experts on the subject. Because if you are interested you already know where to go, for example they are extremely helpful and did even better than what was expected by my supervisor.

Thank you for the full code at least.

Edited by Kalaza
  • Like 1