[Solved][1.6.2] Disable lighting on normal (not custom model) Block

KelMai

It was easy disabling "natural" lighting on my custom blocks using GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING) in the renderer for their "on"-state:

Fixtures.jpg

This makes the lamp glow nicely, without any shadowed sides.

Is the same thing possible for "normal" blocks (Blocks without custom model)? I'd like to achieve the same effect for my normal lamps without having to create the unnecessary overhead of a custom model. right now, they look like this when turned on (bottom half of the image):

LumaLamps.jpg

You can see that even though they're turned on, the sides are darker than the top.

I'm working with Forge version 9.10.0.804 (MC 1.6.2)

Maybe you could use ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler?

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

I looked into this and it seems to be the way to go.

So I tried this (it's probably stupid, but that's what seemed to make sense):

public class BlockLampRenderer implements ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler {
    public void renderInventoryBlock(Block block, int metadata, int modelID, RenderBlocks renderer) {

}

public boolean renderWorldBlock(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z, Block block, int modelId, RenderBlocks renderer) {

GL11.glDisable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);

renderer.renderStandardBlock(block, x, y, z);

GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_LIGHTING);

Luma.log("Render");
        return true;
    }

public boolean shouldRender3DInInventory() {
        return false;
    }

public int getRenderId() {
        return ClientProxy.lampRenderType;
    }
}

If I remove the GL-Statements, it renders the blocks like before. With these statements, something very weird happens. The lighting (shading) is disabled, but for ALL blocks in the chunks where the lamps are placed. And they're not bright, but quite dark. This is clearly the wrong approach...

Another weird thing: I have a console output in the method. This fires only when a block is placed or its state changes.

On my custom model lamps (using the OBJ importer to use a model made in blender) i had a console output for testing as well (TileEntitySpecialRenderer). that one fired every frame. I get a feeling that the two methods don't work the same way at all.

I'll continue to look into this and eventually find out, but it would help a lot if someone could give me a hint on how to approach this...

yeah, basicly use the tessellator instead of the renderer reference, the renderer reference uses a lot of insanelly non conventionnal techniques to render the block

and dont disable lighting :P

and yes TESR and ISBRH work very differently :P

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

Thanks a lot for the Tessellator Hint. I think I know what to do now, because of your hint and also this thread:

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=11053.0

You can set the brightness value using the tesselator. I think this is what I was looking for.

Do you know if there are any considerable performance differences between the TESR and ISBRH version? Is it always better to use ISBRH if possible? I think i might be able to use it for my other (custom model, but simple) lamp blocks as well...

yeah isbrh are always more performant then tesr becausetesr requires a tile entity. if you dont have one you cannot use tesr. in term of how much gpu computation they both require, its almost the same. technicly tesr will take a tiny bit more computation because you can add animation n stuff but in that sens you shouldnt worry about it.

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-