FORGE 43.2.0 MINECRAFT 1.19.2 Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 1.0-1.19+: Empty pre-release

Jety Wawoo

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 8:47 PM, LexManos said:

One of the mods you have installed has a invalid version `1.0-1.19+` you'll need to figure out which one and remove it.

Could this be fixed on the forge end since it just started popping up between 43.1.64 -> 43.1.65? I hate the idea of adding dummy checks for all sorts of strings, but you know some mod developer down the road is going to make the same mistake in naming convention at some point. 

Yes we could randomly generate version numbers for java's module system and fix modders being stupid.

But we don't. Because we don't fix modders stupidity. They have to work within the confines of the systems they are in. This one in particular was exposed by us fixing a bug where we didn't honor the standard Java's spec on defining versions. The modder actually went out of their way to specify the version as defined in the Java spec. But inserted a incorrect value. It's like if you ask someone for a glass of water, and they hand you a glass of battery acid. Should you silently accept it, and find your own water, or should you yell at them that acid isn't water.

• Like 1

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

As fun as making up version numbers would be. 
I mean a fix by letting the jarhandler somehow ignore the mod altogether, or give the user a better idea which mod caused the crash by catching the IllegalArgumentException and let JarMetadata.fromFileName output the filename.
As it is ModuleDescriptor.Version parse throws an uncaught exception and itself only reports back the string that was being evaluated. (In this case, "1.0-1.19+" (example: https://pastebin.com/B7s0Td13)

Not sure why I care so much, other than keeping people from constantly asking about the crashes in future modpacks, all because some author flunked their semver comprehension.

Edited by Jinxed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What I'm understanding is that a string naming convention that hasn't been adhered to for years is now the cause of a crash, and on my end it can be simply fixed by changing a string so that it evaluates properly. And that any one modder can unknowingly insert a wrong string, due to this convention not having been followed until recently. So as a user, I'd appreciate it if Forge told me in the output log where this 'battery acid' is coming from so I can quickly fix or remove the source of the issue. Instead of it only telling me it's 'battery acid' and leaving me to dig through the mods I've added and their .jars to find the single little string that's causing this crash. Thank you.

Edited by SaintHF