[1.6.2] Half-Launching Installer on Mac 10.6.8 (fails to launch)

Psychic_Will

Using a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8), the installer fails to run properly, instead returning this window: cXDjry7.png

The program calls itself cpw.mods.fml.installer.SimpleInstaller.  The "OK" button cannot be clicked, the red "x" button and the "quit" options in the dock and the cpw.mods.fml.installer.SimpleInstaller menu, along with the "cmd+q" command, don't work, instead a force quit is necessary.  This occurs in versions 9.10.1.849 (the current recommended version at the time of posting) and 9.10.0.837 (the version that the current release of TerraFirmaCraft was built off of, and the one I tried first).  This may be a problem specific to my system for one reason or another as I haven't been able to find anywhere else that it is mentioned (unless I simply haven't recognized it).

Threads visited:

Youtube Tutorials viewed (among others):

I'm not sure where I might find any applicable stack traces or error codes as the problem does not occur within the Minecraft Launcher and as such is not visible in its console.

I thought I made it clear that I didn't know how to do that.  I tried to do it anyway and this is what I got:

Last login: Wed Sep  4 08:57:25 on ttys000

localhost:~ Me$ cd Downloads

localhost:Downloads Me$ cd TerraFirmaCraft

localhost:TerraFirmaCraft Me$ java minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.1.849.jar

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: minecraftforge-installer-1/6/2-9/10/1/849/jar

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.1.849.jar

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

localhost:TerraFirmaCraft Me$

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue as well, just a blank window with a few buttons that don't work. I'm trying to install build 871 for 1.6.2, and it seems to have the same problem with all of the versions I've tried except build 789. For some reason that one works fine. Unfortunately, I'm trying to set up my Minecraft for a modded server which is using 871, so installing 789 won't do me much good. For what it's worth, I'm also using Mac OS 10.6.8 and I have the latest version of Java available to me.

java 7 for mac required MAC OS X 10.7.3 +

And the installer required java 7.

You can say thank to apple....

@cpw shouldn't make a version compatible with Java 6 ?

EDIT : One of my friends has a mac (MAC OS X 10.8.5) with java 7, the installer work fine, it's indeed a problem with java 6.

There was a slight derp I used one class that was java7 dependant but that never went to production as we had testers to fix. We would need your logs and help debugging as as far we we know the current installer works fine and is java 6 compatible.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Both my son and I are running Mac OS 10.8.5 with Java 1.6.0_51. The 1.6.4-9.11.0.898 installer ran fine on his MacBook Pro but I got the blank window on my MacBook Air. Despite the OK button being there, hitting return does nothing.

However...

Go to the cow.mods.fml.installer.SimpleInstaller menu and open it, nothing. Pull down to "About..." still nothing. Pull down to "Services..." and boom, the window loads. Even though it loads, it still won't do anything... unless you open the menu to "Services..." again. You have to click the button and then open the menu to get it to execute.

While it did start working, I eventually got this error:

"These libraries failed to download. Try again. org.scala-lang:scala-library:2.10.2, org.scala-lang:scala-compiler:2.10.2"

This is despite the status window saying it had actually downloaded and started unpacking that library.

So, given the different results on two machines with the same Java versions, it seems to be environmental but I haven't figured out what it is yet.

I have almost zero experience with Macs, and i'm not about to go out and buy one just for this. {Though I probably should -.-}

Either way, make sure you try running the installer from terminal, so that we can see any errors that may happen to printed to the console.

Straight forward, just go to terminal

cd to the folder that has the installer

then run java -jar {installer-name}.jar

The download for the libraries happens in a few steps, because the libraries are so large they are killing our servers.

So we download a compressed version.

We then uncompress it.

And then we hash everything inside to make sure nothing got corrupt.

We can't do the entire file hash because macs like to ship broken zip file implementations which cause the files to be different each time -.-

But ya, we need the console log, and the files that were downloaded {they are in your libraires/org/scala-lib folder}

So we can try and track down what s wrong.

The more information and help you give me, the more likely I can figure out what is wrong.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Here are the results from Terminal:

Checking "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/scala-library/2.10.2/scala-library-2.10.2.jar" internal checksums

checksums.sha1 failed validation

Checking "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/scala-library/2.10.2/scala-library-2.10.2.jar" internal checksums

Checking "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/scala-compiler/2.10.2/scala-compiler-2.10.2.jar" internal checksums

Checking "/Users/me/Library/Application Support/minecraft/libraries/org/scala-lang/scala-compiler/2.10.2/scala-compiler-2.10.2.jar" internal checksums

I don't seem to have a directory "libraries/org/scala-lib" under Minecraft. I have scala-lang (maybe that's what you meant) but there aren't any log files in there, just two jar files embedded in other folders.

I also can't find any Java logs anywhere.