How to get the name of the world the player is in?

kris91268

Hello,

I am writing a new save system for my mod and I am just trying to find out how do you get the name of the world that the current player is logged into? By name, I mean the name that you set when you create a new world or rename one.

Also, is the variable of the name of the world accessible through the EntityPlayer, or the World classes, or if there is another one (Please specify if you do)

Thank you in advance for all of those who can help me

Does world.getWorldInfo() have any helpfull methods for this perhaps?

Yes it does, but it sometimes says that the world is name MpServer or something like that, when I am playing singleplayer. So then my program breaks. How would I stop this MpServer coming before it returns the proper world name?

if you want to get the worldname then use this:

(i used it for my wireless redstone to make it transdimensional^^")

You only need to get the world(over entity the world is called worldObj)

String name = world.provider.getDimensionName();

with that you have the name of the Dimension where you are^^

If you're on the client side there is no way you can detect the world name. The client world is always called "MpServer".

Then how does Minecraft know which world you are in, so it can save the contents of the world to the disc under the saves folder? Because I need to save an additional file in there, but I do not know how to detect the name of the world that the player sets on creation.

if you want to get the worldname then use this:

(i used it for my wireless redstone to make it transdimensional^^")

You only need to get the world(over entity the world is called worldObj)

String name = world.provider.getDimensionName();

with that you have the name of the Dimension where you are^^

That gets the name of the dimension, I do not need that, I need the name of the world that you set when you name your world on creation so I can save a file for each individual world in the saves folder.

I've used both Scotty's, and GotoLink's suggestions with how I should do this.

I've added an if else statement that sets the value to a string depending on what type of world it is in, here it is below

if (!world.isRemote)
{
      worldname = world.getWorldInfo().getWorldName();
}
else
{
     worldname = ModLoader.getMinecraftServerInstance().getFolderName();
}

I know ModLoader is not ideal, but is the best option avaliable. It works fine clientside, but in a server, it crashes with a FileNotFound exception because it reads from the default saves folder in the .minecraft directory, but that is not where the server holds it's world files. Is there any way for getting the name of the directory for the worlds that the server uses?

Use WorldSavedData. Don't reinvent the wheel.

WorldSavedData does not have anything that I need, I had a look. Plus it is an abstract class, so I cannot declare a new object from it.

And when you say "Don't reinvent the wheel", what exactly do you mean? I know what you physically mean by it, but how am I 'starting from scratch'?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
    • They were already updated, and just to double check I even did a cleanup and fresh update from that same page. I'm quite sure drivers are not the problem here. 
    • i tried downloading the drivers but it says no AMD graphics hardware has been detected    
    • Update your AMD/ATI drivers - get the drivers from their website - do not update via system  
    • As the title says i keep on crashing on forge 1.20.1 even without any mods downloaded, i have the latest drivers (nvidia) and vanilla minecraft works perfectly fine for me logs: https://pastebin.com/5UR01yG9
    • Hello everyone, I'm making this post to seek help for my modded block, It's a special block called FrozenBlock supposed to take the place of an old block, then after a set amount of ticks, it's supposed to revert its Block State, Entity, data... to the old block like this :  The problem I have is that the system breaks when handling multi blocks (I tried some fix but none of them worked) :  The bug I have identified is that the function "setOldBlockFields" in the item's "setFrozenBlock" function gets called once for the 1st block of multiblock getting frozen (as it should), but gets called a second time BEFORE creating the first FrozenBlock with the data of the 1st block, hence giving the same data to the two FrozenBlock :   Old Block Fields set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=head] BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@73681674 BlockEntityData : id:"minecraft:bed",x:3,y:-60,z:-6} Old Block Fields set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} Frozen Block Entity set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockPos{x=3, y=-60, z=-6} BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} Frozen Block Entity set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockPos{x=2, y=-60, z=-6} BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} here is the code inside my custom "freeze" item :    @Override     public @NotNull InteractionResult useOn(@NotNull UseOnContext pContext) {         if (!pContext.getLevel().isClientSide() && pContext.getHand() == InteractionHand.MAIN_HAND) {             BlockPos blockPos = pContext.getClickedPos();             BlockPos secondBlockPos = getMultiblockPos(blockPos, pContext.getLevel().getBlockState(blockPos));             if (secondBlockPos != null) {                 createFrozenBlock(pContext, secondBlockPos);             }             createFrozenBlock(pContext, blockPos);             return InteractionResult.SUCCESS;         }         return super.useOn(pContext);     }     public static void createFrozenBlock(UseOnContext pContext, BlockPos blockPos) {         BlockState oldState = pContext.getLevel().getBlockState(blockPos);         BlockEntity oldBlockEntity = oldState.hasBlockEntity() ? pContext.getLevel().getBlockEntity(blockPos) : null;         CompoundTag oldBlockEntityData = oldState.hasBlockEntity() ? oldBlockEntity.serializeNBT() : null;         if (oldBlockEntity != null) {             pContext.getLevel().removeBlockEntity(blockPos);         }         BlockState FrozenBlock = setFrozenBlock(oldState, oldBlockEntity, oldBlockEntityData);         pContext.getLevel().setBlockAndUpdate(blockPos, FrozenBlock);     }     public static BlockState setFrozenBlock(BlockState blockState, @Nullable BlockEntity blockEntity, @Nullable CompoundTag blockEntityData) {         BlockState FrozenBlock = BlockRegister.FROZEN_BLOCK.get().defaultBlockState();         ((FrozenBlock) FrozenBlock.getBlock()).setOldBlockFields(blockState, blockEntity, blockEntityData);         return FrozenBlock;     }  
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.