1.6 Entities and Attributes - My smart way wasn't so smart it seems?

Mazetar

Hi!

So I'm working on updating a mod to 1.6 and I figured I would be smart and make a super class to handle some of the stuff for me.

So I made a super class which takes inn the speed, health, dmg and followRange of a mob as params to the constructor. Then I register the attributes like this:

protected void func_110147_ax() { 
        super.func_110147_ax();

this.func_110148_a(SharedMonsterAttributes.field_111267_a).func_111128_a(maxHealth);
        this.func_110148_a(SharedMonsterAttributes.field_111264_e).func_111128_a(attackDmg);
        this.func_110148_a(SharedMonsterAttributes.field_111265_b).func_111128_a(followRange);
        this.func_110148_a(SharedMonsterAttributes.field_111263_d).func_111128_a(moveSpeed);
    }

Which in theory should enable me to do the following (or so I thought):

// The default constructor for the mob
public EntitySomeMob(World world)
    {
        //               Speed, hp , atkDmg
        super(world, 0.3F, 300, 10);
        this.isImmuneToFire = true;
        this.experienceValue = 20;
    }

Now there seems to be something with the code not liking my HP values, as mobs seems to die instantly when they are spawned into the world?

It seems that the health when set above 255 is set to 0, so I assume it's cast to a byte somewhere, I'm guessing for use with data watchers?

So my questions are the following:

1. As I know there's possible to have mobs with large amounts of HP, there must be a solution to this, does anyone here have any pointers?  Could I perhaps write myself around the use of the datawatcher, or am I perhaps mistaken about that part?

2. Are there better ways to handle the setting of attributes? or is this a good and simple way compared to other methods?

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

Hi,

Your value default to 0, probably.

The parent class constructor is called first, and func_110147_ax() is only called in EntityLivingBase constructor.

Which means you have to set a base value.

The SharedMonsterAttributes can be pretty huge actually. The max values are commonly Double.MAX_VALUE.

Oh wait a sec, the func_110147_ax() is run before the rest of the constructor runs.

And super constructors must be called first in java I seem to recall...

Hmm maybe I could move the code currently inside the func_110147_ax() into the end of the constructor for my super class?

Did you read what i said ?  :-\

Anyway, you would end up with the exact same issue.

Your parent constructor gets called first, finish his job, and then your child class setters would try something.

You need that base value in your parent class.

Then use AttributeModifier_s.

Your parent constructor gets called first, finish his job, and then your child class setters would try something.

Yeah wouldn't it mean that the EntityLivingBase constructor would be called before my parent constructor anyways, which in turn will call func_110147_ax() before I have any chance at doing anything.

So the parent class's func_110147_ax() has to set the default values.

And then in the parent's constructor it could change those values to the one passed into it's own constructor?

Or did I misunderstand you completely?  :-[

Yeah wouldn't it mean that the EntityLivingBase constructor would be called before my parent constructor anyways, which in turn will call func_110147_ax() before I have any chance at doing anything.

So the parent class's func_110147_ax() has to set the default values.

And then in the parent's constructor it could change those values to the one passed into it's own constructor?

Or did I misunderstand you completely?  :-[

Thats what I got from it xD

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Oh wait a sec, the func_110147_ax() is run before the rest of the constructor runs.

And super constructors must be called first in java I seem to recall...

Learn java first ;). (just kidding  ;D)

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.