Need Help With Making Content Packs For My Mod :( Please Help ???

EsvDefcon

Thanks for reading this, first of all, because I'm seriously confused!

So I'm basically working on a mod which bring clothes into Minecraft for 1.6.2. So, I have my basic mod done, but I now need to work out a way of allowing people to download individual content packs, which add sets of clothing into my main mod. So what I'm really asking is this:

• How Do I Make Content Packs Compatible With My Main Mod?
  • How Do I Set Them Up?

Please post any ideas that you guys have, I'd be really grateful if you could help!  :D

You basically want to add DLC's to your mod?

How do you want them to work exactly?

As big things downloaded seperatly?

As stuff turned on and off via a GUI menu?

etc.

Basically, I would like people to be able to download a folder which can be put inside of a "DLC PACKS" folder (Just an example name), and then my mod would load all of the items, blocks, etc inside of that folder, but I really haven't got a ckue how to do it

Thanks for the reply! :)

Are you talking about java files to compile and obfuscate, or some setting files with "readable" text ?

I mean coding it in java, so just like I would with a normal mod (public static Item... and so on), but I need my main mod to be able to read the new content packs somehow, and to be able to add their items into the game

It sounds like you are wanting to do something like what the actual Forge API does. It basically reads EVERYTHING in the /mods folder and if there is a class that has the annotation

@Mod ( params )

then it loads it as a mod.

So you would have to do the same thing. You would then use an annotation like

@EsvDefconContentPack ( Same params as @Mod )

So yeah... That seems like an extremely hard way to do this. All you really need to do is just basically have it as a "core mod" ( not used in the literal sense of the term core mod ). Then every set of clothing mod would require that mod to be installed.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Thanks for your reply, I think that you know exactly what I'm trying to do! So unfortunately I'm still pretty new to java, so I'd need a little more explanation of how to do it. So if I use this @Mod annotation, then I will obviously be putting it inside of a new class file? Which I'm guessing that you would also need to make a new workspace for it, because it's a different mod. I'm probably wrong, so please correct me if I am :)

* chuckles *

Nice try, but not quite mate. I actually have NO IDEA how to ENTIRELY go about this, but I do know what it would require.

I have never made my own annotation files, but I would suggest looking at the Mod annotation class. I would then also look at what Lycanus Darkbinder suggested, the cpw.mods.fml.common.discovery package.

BUT!!! Before you do ANY of that, go learn a far bit of java. This problem/question seems quite advanced, though I have no idea how hard as I have never tried it, but it is always good to be prepared.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

All you really need to do is just basically have it as a "core mod" ( not used in the literal sense of the term core mod ). Then every set of clothing mod would require that mod to be installed.

Yeah this was my thought as well of a simple way to do it.

Make those "DLC's" be submods of your main mod, that way if they are downloaded into the /mods folder they will be included else they won't count.

You should even be able to make some interface for downloading them and all that via some GUI or something, although loading them will req. a restart of minecraft :P

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

Submods idea is simple:

The @Mod annotation can already handle basic mod dependency, so make submods use it with [required-after:"basemodid"]

Then you code your own ItemRegistry, or OreRegistry, or whatever in your basemod. All submod should then use that to register things. Making interfaces and release it as an API could be useful too.