Right click to Enchant

TreeBek

Well it kind works but i can't figure out how to do it to where i can only give it one enchantment this is what i have so far

package Harwood;

import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IconRegister;
import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.enchantment.Enchantment;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving;
import net.minecraft.entity.item.EntityEnderPearl;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumAction;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumToolMaterial;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSword;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class ItemDiamondHarwoodSword extends ItemSword {

public ItemDiamondHarwoodSword(int par1,
		EnumToolMaterial par2EnumToolMaterial) {
	super(par1, par2EnumToolMaterial);
	this.setCreativeTab(HarwoodBase.HarwoodMod);
	}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerIcons(IconRegister par1IconRegister){
	this.itemIcon = par1IconRegister.registerIcon(HarwoodBase.modid + ":" + (this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5)));
}

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer)
    {

int enchantnum =  (itemRand.nextInt(6) + 1);
	int counter = 0;
	//debug
	System.out.println("Enchant num " + enchantnum);
	System.out.println("Counter num " + counter);
	//debug
	if(counter <= 0){
		switch(enchantnum){

case 1: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.fireAspect, 2);} counter++; break;
		case 2: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.baneOfArthropods, 2);} counter++; break;
		case 3: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.knockback, 2);} counter++; break;
		case 4: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.looting, 2);} counter++; break;
		case 5: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.sharpness, 2);} counter++; break;
		case 6: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.smite, 2);} counter++;  break;

};counter =  1;
	}
            return par1ItemStack;
    }

}

Couple of things:

That counter is a local variable to that function.  Every time the function is run that value will be 0, thus it will add a new enchantment:

int counter = 0;
if(counter <= 0){

Second even though you're incrementing the counter each time it adds an enchantment, you reset the counter to 1 at the end:

case 6: {par1ItemStack.addEnchantment(Enchantment.smite, 2);} counter++;  break;
};counter =  1;

In order to get what you want, you will need to store the counter in the NBT data for the itemstack:

NBTTagCompound nbt = par1ItemStack.stackTagCompound;
int counter = nbt.getInteger("EnchantmentCounter"); //returns 0 if tag doesn't exist, which is fine
if(counter <= 0) {
     //add an enchantment
     counter++;
}
nbt.setInteger("EnchantmentCounter",counter);

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

You should check hasTagCompound() beforehand.

Javadoc:

NBTTagCompound.getInteger(par1Str)

Retrieves an integer value using the specified key, or 0 if no such key was stored.

Parameters:

par1Str

I happen to be using the "or 0" effect in my current mod:

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer)
    {
	NBTTagCompound data = par1ItemStack.getTagCompound();
	int effectID = 0;
	//oddly this function runs on the server, but directly altering the player entity has no effect.
	//so instead we end up using packets
	if(data != null && par2World.isRemote) {
		effectID = data.getInteger("onItemRightClick");
		if(effectID != 0) {
			//do stuff
		}
	}
        return par1ItemStack;
    }

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Right, of course.

And just because I did it right and forgot the null check when posting the first time doesn't mean I don't know.  It just means that you shouldn't be blindingly copy-pasting. ;)

Read the code that Draco18s has posted...

What he forgot to tell you was to do the null check.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

SO i added the null check and it no longer crashes which is good but i don't understand how to get ntb to be something other than null that way my switch statement will be executed.

Edit* Well i have been working to figure this out and i have gotten ntb to be things other than null but it only enchants the Sword for a couple milliseconds and then goes back to not being enchanted and lets me do the process over again.

Edit* Well i have been working to figure this out and i have gotten ntb to be things other than null but it only enchants the Sword for a couple milliseconds and then goes back to not being enchanted and lets me do the process over again.

Probably because you're doing it client side. ;)

This is the code I pasted

if(data != null && par2World.isRemote) {

This line checks to make sure that the client is running it because...

//oddly this function runs on the server, but directly altering the player entity has no effect.
	//so instead we end up using packets