[RESOLVED] [1.18.2] The mod I'm updating is triggering an AMD driver crash

InspectorCaracal

Long story short:

• I'm updating my mod from 1.16.5 to 1.18.2
  • I've gone through and, to the best I could find, updated the code itself
  • `gradlew build` completes successfully
  • When I try to either run `gradlew runClient` or use my built mod .jar in a 1.18.2 forge install, it crashes when it starts trying to render the client window (the AMD driver access violation error reporting from atio6axx.dll )
  • When I run ANY other forge version with ANY other mods, everything works fine, so I'm completely confident it's not my computer and is something I've done wrong with my mod or the build environment

I don't do any custom models or rendering, so I have no idea where or what might still be broken. Where should I start looking?

(The 1.16.5 mod code is on github here if that's helpful; it's the same base code, just without all of the mappings and library changes I've applied while working on updating.)

Edited by InspectorCaracal
the non-MDK crash was an unrelated mod issue

Try this: https://forums.minecraftforge.net/topic/119038-1192-failed-to-run-example-mod-on-fresh-setup/#comment-522788

or one of the other solutions linked from that thread. Including contact AMD about bugs in their driver.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

12 hours ago, warjort said:

Try this: https://forums.minecraftforge.net/topic/119038-1192-failed-to-run-example-mod-on-fresh-setup/#comment-522788

or one of the other solutions linked from that thread. Including contact AMD about bugs in their driver.

I did see that thread - but the thing is, I don't have this problem *unless* I'm running my own mod. If I run 1.18.2 forge normally, it's fine. If I run 1.18.2 with my mod .jar in the mods folder, it crashes. I don't want to release an upgraded mod that might cause people's game to crash when their game otherwise works fine...

I feel like it must be caused something in my build environment or settings, but minecraft modding is the only thing I work with gradle or java for so I don't have the faintest idea what kind of things to look at changing. Would changing my drivers affect the output jar somehow?

Edited by InspectorCaracal

16 minutes ago, InspectorCaracal said:

Would changing my drivers affect the output jar somehow?

Why would changing your graphics driver change the jar?

That AMD bug has been around for a while, but I haven't seen people reporting it that often recently. Maybe they finally fixed it in a recent release?

The fact that changing the AMD driver version fixes the problem (including using old drivers), shows it is not a bug with your mod, forge or minecraft.

It also doesn't occur with nvidia, intel, etc.

If somebody has the buggy driver, they would likely hit the problem eventually whichever mod they install.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

13 minutes ago, warjort said:

Why would changing your graphics driver change the jar?

That AMD bug has been around for a while, but I haven't seen people reporting it that often recently. Maybe they finally fixed it in a recent release?

The fact that changing the AMD driver version fixes the problem (including using old drivers), shows it is not a bug with your mod, forge or minecraft.

It also doesn't occur with nvidia, intel, etc.

If somebody has the buggy driver, they would likely hit the problem eventually whichever mod they install.

I have no idea why it would change the jar. I would assume it wouldn't.

I accept that you have no further input aside from changing my driver and appreciate your assistance. I will continue investigating and post again if it turns out to have been something else.

• InspectorCaracal changed the title to [RESOLVED] [1.18.2] The mod I'm updating is triggering an AMD driver crash