Some questions about GUI buttons...

Flenix

Hey guys,

I've tried searching for some tutorials, but I keep turning up empty, there doesn't seem to be any good updated ones. So, I just have a few questions about GUI buttons.

I've created the buttons themselves fine, it's everything after I'm having issues with :P

Firstly, I want buttons in one GUI to enter a pin code. The player has to click 4 correct buttons, in the correct order. What would be the best approach to doing this? Running it over mentally, I figured storing NBT data might be a good option (and deleting it on close), but is there a better way?

The correct pin is stored in an item, which the player has to hold to acccess the GUI, so that's always "on hand" so to speak ;)

Secondly, I need to spawn items into the players inventory depending on key presses, how would I manage that?

Finally, how can I handle GUI scaling? When in full screen my buttons line up nicely, but if I go to a smaller window mode, they've all shifted!

Any help with any of the above would be great, thanks :)

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

1/

NBT would only be needed if you save it to the server.

Completely useless for simple data handling or packet sending.

An array or list of the code parts would be fine.

2/

Sending packets for the server to change things.

3/

Use guiLeft and guiTop field, they are relative to the window size.

For the first thing, what I would do is have a text field that can't be edited that displays all the numbers that you have put in so far. Then have some sort of "enter" key. Then, when the "enter" button has been clicked, you take the string from the text field and then check to see if it matches the correct pin code. Nice and simple xD

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

For the first thing, what I would do is have a text field that can't be edited that displays all the numbers that you have put in so far. Then have some sort of "enter" key. Then, when the "enter" button has been clicked, you take the string from the text field and then check to see if it matches the correct pin code. Nice and simple xD

My question for that, is how would I do that exactly? :P

Do I need to use a text field for it? Ideally I'd like to keep it part of the theme of the GUI, I've never used a text field but I assume it's like a button and is a fixed texture?

The GUI width and height are .xSize and .ySize.

May I ask what this is in reference to? My GUI itself works, it's the buttons I'm having some issues with...

width=463 height=200

My question for that, is how would I do that exactly? :P

Do I need to use a text field for it? Ideally I'd like to keep it part of the theme of the GUI, I've never used a text field but I assume it's like a button and is a fixed texture?

The text field is what the title says, it is a field, for text. I believe its called GuiTextField (the class). And no, its not EXACTLY like a button. You still have to click it to use it, but that is all it does on click. It focuses on the text field. And you most certainly wouldn't need a text field, but I would use it. ( But you don't have to, that is just me. And am I right in assuming this is for your currency mod? ) You could instead just use a string and add to the string the number that was pushed in string format.

So for something of an example... :

String enteredPin = "";

@Override
public/protected void actionPerformed ( GuiButton button ) {
    switch ( button.id ) [
        case ID_OF_A_BUTTON:
            enteredPin = enteredPin + "0";
            this.isPinLongEnough ( enteredPin );
    }
}

private void isPinLongEnough ( String pin ) {
    if ( pin.length() == 4 )
        this.authenticatePin ( pin );
}

private void authenticatePing ( String pin ) {
    if ( pin.equals ( "0101" ) {
        // Execute code to do whatever it is that you were intending to do
    } else {
        // Do some sort of error code, just some graphics or something. This is where the text field would be helpful in my opinion
    }
}

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Yeah, this is the currency mod, well guessed :P

My issue with using a text field is that it wont match the rest of the GUI. My GUI has a black screen with green text, but as far as I know a text field is forced to be the black box with white text and a white border?

Obviously I don't want to actually print the pincode, I just want to change from _ to * each time a number is clicked. Is there some clever easy way I can do that?

Also, this opens up a whole new question too- multi-screen GUIs. After the correct pin is entered, I want to continue to the "next screen" on the ATM. The differences are the on-screen text and the function of the buttons, so I'd probably need to open a new GUI for that. Is there some clever way of doing that?

width=463 height=200

In your gui class:

protected void actionPerformed(GuiButton guibutton)

//change _ to * (use int[] numPressed, increment a "position" variable for this array)

//"position" is over array length ? -> send packet with the array, other useful data...

In your packet handler class:

//receive packet, read data

// if array is valid ->close Gui, open new Gui

My issue with using a text field is that it wont match the rest of the GUI. My GUI has a black screen with green text, but as far as I know a text field is forced to be the black box with white text and a white border?

If you take a look at the GuiTextField class, you can see there are three methods in there that'll help you out. These are setEnableBackgroundDrawing(boolean), setTextColor(int) and setDisabledTextColor(int).

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.