Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to create model for minecraft:hanging_sign

Hello. I have encountered an issue whist attempting to play on Forge 1.19.4 on the latest stable release beta as of 05/29/23. Everytime I attempt to load Minecraft Forge with mods installed, I recieve the following crash report: 

The game crashed whilst rendering overlay Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to create model for minecraft:hanging_sign

I have tried:

Deleting all post-install custom installations

Reinstalling Minecraft (deleting all files within Roaming/.minecraft folder and reinstalling)

Updating Java Runtime Environment

Uninstalling Java via Control Panel and downloading and installing newest recommended version (Java 8 Update 371)

Below I have included both the crash log I recieved, as well as the debug.log. I hope someone can help!

crash-client.txt

debug.log

On 5/30/2023 at 9:37 AM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

1.19.4 uses Java 17, not Java 8.

It must be able to run on both, because I have resolved the issue myself. Reading through my debug logs, I found that multiple mods were the problem, including Supplementaries for the initial error, and Blue Skies' reliance on an outated Mixin. Thank you though!

UPDATE: As of 05/31/2023, I have resolved the issue(s). I read extensively into my debug.log file and found that two mods in particular were causing my problems.

Supplementaries: Error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to create model for minecraft:hanging_sign

Blue Skies: Outdated Sponge mixin causing shader-related crash on new versions of Minecraft

Testing Minecraft 1.19.4 with Java 8 Update 371, it seems to work fine both in Vanilla and Forge/Optifine installations (yes I know Optifine is outdated and not recommended. I still like to use it as it wasn't the cause of any of my crashes). So I guess Java 17 isn't necessarily required if you use the most recent version of Java 8? Who knows but maybe that is some useful information to someone.

(Maybe the mods that were the cause of my issues would have worked if I used Java 17, I am unsure and I won't change my Java version now that everything seems to be running fine.)

Edited by Tha_Marshall

11 hours ago, Tha_Marshall said:

Testing Minecraft 1.19.4 with Java 8 Update 371, it seems to work fine both in Vanilla and Forge/Optifine installations (yes I know Optifine is outdated and not recommended. I still like to use it as it wasn't the cause of any of my crashes). So I guess Java 17 isn't necessarily required if you use the most recent version of Java 8? Who knows but maybe that is some useful information to someone.

If you read your logs, it would be using Java 17. I assumed that you modified the JVM installation in the profile. However, it working indicates that you haven't, meaning you were just using the version of Java shipped with the client. I will reiterate that Minecraft 1.19 was compiled with Java 17, which means it will only be forward compatible with newer versions and crash on older versions with a class version error.

• 8 months later...

so anyone wondering if you see this error show up and you have Supplementaries installed disable it then run your game, it will then tell you what the actual mod issues is (in marshall's case it was blue skies) then once your fix the issues the hanging sign error should go away, ive had this happen once or twice with my mods not haveing the right version of one of it dependences