So I've learned Java... How do I learn minecraft?

EliteCreature

So I've spent about half a year teaching myself Java and taking a class in college... So I feel pretty good about (finally) getting to start modding minecraft. I get forge set up; open the eclipse workspace;.... And become overwhelmed and decide I don't know anything...

(There are some good basic tutorials for making basic mods and whatnot, but the sheer amount of packages makes more advanced modding daunting)

How do I get started learning packages? (Without spending hours of trial and error testing out and messing around with each class)

[i see there used to be a java doc, but the link takes you to a deceased page.]

Is there any documentation help? Or do I just have to slowly trudge into the immense see of this code and get worn down to the point of being adverse to modding?

(Note: I have immense respect for the first modders who had to do this stuff without any help, as they paved the way for us less skilled and driven people; unfortunately I do not have their strength of will (not their ardent skill) to perservere in such a feat of stamina)

Watch tutorials and try not to edit the core classes.

Screw that, edit core classes as you get started.  Go crazy, see what happens, try to do stuff intentionally.  Play around, have fun.  What would happen if you forged every sign to start with a chat enum formatting character (just the § symbol, which tells the renderer that the next character defines color)?

Once you have an understanding of what CAN be done and what DOES what, then pull back, reinstall the original source, and get started on a mod you can release.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.