What is the best way to do this?

endershadow

I havent tried this but it might be possible to use a block from vanilla like dirt and then have a tickhandler that checks what dimension the player is in. Then you could have a class that inplements dirt and overrides the texture and the block it drops when you are in that dimension to your new block over block id 256 and when that blocks is placed it could be changed to dirt again or you could just make it a new block.

Sorry if this is bad as i an typing on my phone and havent tried this out yet.

I havent tried this but it might be possible to use a block from vanilla like dirt and then have a tickhandler that checks what dimension the player is in. Then you could have a class that inplements dirt and overrides the texture and the block it drops when you are in that dimension to your new block over block id 256 and when that blocks is placed it could be changed to dirt again or you could just make it a new block.

Sorry if this is bad as i an typing on my phone and havent tried this out yet.

That's dumb.  Do what Alix suggested.  XCW is very approachable.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Why would that be dumb draco. As setting it to dirt then having a tickhandler that changes the blocks texture to your new one and then you just change what the block drops to your new one would get rid of using any ids under 256 and since it only happens in that dimension it wont mess up dirt. I see this as the best option i have seen for not using any ids under 256.

Because removing the limitation on (btye) is an actual solution, which works, and requires no base class edits (as evidenced by Mystcraft) and is highly flexible.  Like having ores generate.  If your base material isn't stone, vanilla ores will not populate.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Because removing the limitation on (btye) is an actual solution, which works, and requires no base class edits (as evidenced by Mystcraft) and is highly flexible.  Like having ores generate.  If your base material isn't stone, vanilla ores will not populate.

I've been thinking of doing this, but would I have to make my own files that don't use bytes? or would I be able to do this in some other way?

I don't know, that's what you're supposed to go ask XCompWiz.