Move "mods" folder

Jammburger

The mods folder is, as most of you know, in the .minecraft folder. I suggest moving it into the folder of the version of minecraft that you want to mod. Even though it does seem strange, I do wish that I could have two separate Forge versions.

If I am unclear, this is what I mean...

Say you want to load a Shaders mod in a version separate from one you use for normal, gameplay-changing mods (Such as ComputerCraft, or ThaumCraft). You would put your Shaders mod into .minecraft\versions\<version/filename>\mods instead of .minecraft\mods.

This would allow you to happily play Minecraft with shaders, but without the mods.  ;)

Either

1) Use /mods/{mcversion}/

or

2) Use the game directory option in your profile.

This has been discussed many times, these are you choices and we find it's enough power for you to do whatever you wish.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

• 2 months later...

I just registered to make this suggestion and it turned out someone already made it.

To be perfectly honest I don't quite understand how this works. I hope it is acceptable if I ask for someone to explain to me how to do it.

I have, say, a profile for a modded Minecraft 1.4.7 and a profile for a modded 1.6.4. My problem is that if I throw all the corresponding mods in /.minecraft/mods/ half of the mods will cause a crash because they'll be for the wrong version. The only workaround I knew was copying the correct mods and removing the wrong version ones before changing versions, but this is slightly impractical.

I have tried to set the game directory to something different in the profile config, but it seems to still read everything from the same directory. Nothing changed, apparently. I may be doing something wrong.

If a change for this is not planned because there already is a structure that supports it, would someone please explain it to me or show me where I can read about it?

Thanks in advance.

I just registered to make this suggestion and it turned out someone already made it.

To be perfectly honest I don't quite understand how this works. I hope it is acceptable if I ask for someone to explain to me how to do it.

I have, say, a profile for a modded Minecraft 1.4.7 and a profile for a modded 1.6.4. My problem is that if I throw all the corresponding mods in /.minecraft/mods/ half of the mods will cause a crash because they'll be for the wrong version. The only workaround I knew was copying the correct mods and removing the wrong version ones before changing versions, but this is slightly impractical.

I have tried to set the game directory to something different in the profile config, but it seems to still read everything from the same directory. Nothing changed, apparently. I may be doing something wrong.

If a change for this is not planned because there already is a structure that supports it, would someone please explain it to me or show me where I can read about it?

Thanks in advance.

This is quite useful.

This is quite useful.

This is fantastic! I had not seen this video. The last time I tried to do this manually it didn't work (this video may not have existed at the time). I have to try again following these instructions. Thanks a lot!

Edit: ...aaand no. Still having the same problem. I don't want to pollute this thread with noob questions though. Where should I go to ask about this?