Server side integer saving?

deadrecon98

Why not?

Because the code I need cannot be used. Let me explain..

try{

compound = whatever;

}catch{

//Exception Here

}

I cannot use compound anywhere else except for the try/catch statement.

Initiliaze the variable outside of the try catch like this

NBT compound = null;

try{

compound = CompressedStreamTools.read(stream);

}catch(Exception e){//handle}

now you can access the compound variable anywhere.

compound.whatEverTheHellYouNeed();

If it helps toss me a thank you.

Umm dude, it doesn't work...

Error:

2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [ForgeModLoader] The state engine was in incorrect state SERVER_STOPPING and forced into state SERVER_STOPPED. Errors may have been discarded.
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at bossesPlus.item.nether.ItemNetherSpellBook.onItemRightClick(ItemNetherSpellBook.java:55)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.useItemRightClick(ItemStack.java:173)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.sendUseItem(PlayerControllerMP.java:423)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.clickMouse(Minecraft.java:1343)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:1800)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runGameLoop(Minecraft.java:835)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:760)
2013-10-31 18:28:38 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

My class:

package bossesPlus.item.nether;

import ibxm.Player;

import java.io.DataInputStream;
import java.util.List;

import bossesPlus.biomeGenBase.MobPackage.Telluris.EntityTellurose;
import bossesPlus.core.Core;
import net.minecraft.client.texturepacks.GuiTexturePacks;
import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.entity.item.EntityTNTPrimed;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityWolf;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumAction;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumRarity;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.nbt.CompressedStreamTools;
import net.minecraft.nbt.NBTTagCompound;
import net.minecraft.src.ModLoader;
import net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumMovingObjectType;
import net.minecraft.util.MathHelper;
import net.minecraft.util.MovingObjectPosition;
import net.minecraft.util.Vec3;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

public class ItemNetherSpellBook extends Item{

private int index;

public ItemNetherSpellBook(int par1) {
	super(par1);
	this.setMaxStackSize(1);
}

public EnumAction getItemUseAction(ItemStack itemstack)
    {
            return EnumAction.none;
    }

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemstack, World world, EntityPlayer entityplayer)
    {
	 boolean ActivateSpell = false;
	 NBTTagCompound nbt = null;
		DataInputStream stream = new DataInputStream(this.getClass().getResourceAsStream("NetherSpellBook.dat"));
		try{
			nbt = CompressedStreamTools.read(stream);
		}catch(Exception e){
			e.printStackTrace();
		}
		nbt.setInteger("Test", nbt.getInteger("Test") + 1);
		entityplayer.sendChatToPlayer("" + nbt.getInteger("Test"));
		return itemstack;

}
public void addInformation(ItemStack par1ItemStack, EntityPlayer par2EntityPlayer, List par3List, boolean par4)
{
	par3List.add("A Spellbook.");

}
}

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if(nbt != null) {

}

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Dude I know basic java

then i suggest learning "advanced" java... or rethinking your definition of "basic". i remember your old thread and all you needed to know was already posted in it multiple times. people even posted code for you. the only thing stopping you from making your stuff work was.. well, not having a firm grasp of basic java..

Dude I know basic java

then i suggest learning "advanced" java... or rethinking your definition of "basic". i remember your old thread and all you needed to know was already posted in it multiple times. people even posted code for you. the only thing stopping you from making your stuff work was.. well, not having a firm grasp of basic java..

Enough of this. If anyone can help me then reply, if not then do not even bother. I'm not trying to be rude but this is ridiculous.

"Doesn't work" isn't a precise enough description of your problem.

Try again.

I still don't get why you couldn't put your code in the try block by the way.

if(nbt != null) {

}

The way to learn is to when you feel you're problem is about the understanding of Java, you look it up on google. Every problem I myself encountered so far related to basic Java I've found solved at stackoverflow.com. To help you with your problem, you're writing to WorldInfo right? http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13558.msg69837.html#msg69837

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

The way to learn is to when you feel you're problem is about the understanding of Java, you look it up on google. Every problem I myself encountered so far related to basic Java I've found solved at stackoverflow.com. To help you with your problem, you're writing to WorldInfo right? http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13558.msg69837.html#msg69837

And it might help, ill keep you posted.

RE: I do not understand that post, I really just do not get what he is saying to do.

You are still not describing your problem enough.

Where is NetherSpellBook.dat ? Did you put something in it ? How did you write it ?

Did you put any breakpoints while testing those lines ? What is each variable value at runtime ?

If you have an exception thrown, what is the offending line and the type of the issue ?

You are still not describing your problem enough.

Where is NetherSpellBook.dat ? Did you put something in it ? How did you write it ?

Did you put any breakpoints while testing those lines ? What is each variable value at runtime ?

If you have an exception thrown, what is the offending line and the type of the issue ?

No no no, the file is yet to be created, is all it will be used for is to save data, it is not a config file.